Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Droppin' 8ths
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Droppin' 8ths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ma36scott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Droppin' 8ths Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Just finished the latest GW podcast, and loved those Virgil Donati stories. I actually bought that unauthorized album he made with you years ago from Audiophile Imports but had no clue about the story behind it.

Have you heard this track from Vinnie Colaiuta (Landau plays guitar on it)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnF7X02iJI

The head of the tune starts around 0:20, and when it repeats Vinnie does that 'drop an 8th here, pick it up there' thing you were talking about. I transcribed it a few years back because I was curious about what was happening. It is quite uncomfortable to listen to though Laughing

I wonder if the band played to a click and Vinnie did his thing after, or if they actually recorded it while he played that stuff?

Anyway, those stories were great!!

Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a perfect example of what drummers do when they want to announce to the world "I'm clever, but I'm a terrible musician." I've seen Vinny play many times in recent years and he doesn't do dumb shit like that anymore - that tune is 17 years old.

On a semi-related topic, I love this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_8iD5xS1hI
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to listen to your link, but it wasn't working anymore. I googled the title and got that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdId45SPUu4. I listened to it, and could not find anything wrong, until around 3minutes, and then I heard it and went Shocked Shocked Shocked . Am I right?

Also, Scott, you were talking about cousin rythms. As you talked about it, the first thing that came to my mind was Steve Smith on"Two for one". When he's playing with Wooten, before you start, he's doing something like this. It sounds pretty difficult to play (I can't do those rythms with my feet hand hands at the same time, my mind can't focus on both rythms at the same time). Is it what you were talking about?

And since we're talking about rythms, I just would like to know if you, Scott, with your humble "Kool and the gang rythm skills", can sing along with that song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1nNMTi6xdk
Something is changing in the rythm at around 0:50, and I've never been able to sing along with it.
I'm not asking for you to study it ( Very Happy you have a new album in the oven, and a dog poop sudy going on), I just would like to know what's your feeling about it on a first listen.

Kevin
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't listened to those records I made with Steve and Victor since they came out. The first one won the Guinness book of world records for the loudest drums of any mix in history, and the second one won the worst use of the whammy bar.

Your link won for the worst music I've ever heard in my life. Sorry, wasn't able to make it through 10 seconds to hear the rhythmic part you were asking about. My dog poop study is far more satisfying.

I desperately need to hear James Brown after that.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may end up wondering what it is I like in your music, since I already sent you several links to other artists and you hated it, and when I talk about your music, it's your worst album.
I still think those singers I told you about (XTC, Serge Gainsbourgs, Rufus Wainwright) are great, really different than what you do, but great. I heard you in an interview saying that one should not like or dislike music just to match other's tastes. I agree with that.
About VTT, I agree that it's not your best. Nothing to compare with the best of TT, or VibeStation in terms of writing. But we all know that your best writing ever is on HBC! Very Happy
manolopez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a semi-related topic, I love this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_8iD5xS1hI[/quote]

this shit is funny! one bad ass mofo
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I'm actually a big fan of singers and I know this is all subjective and only a matter of personal taste, but I can't hear anything I like in those singers you mentioned. It doesn't matter, and neither does my opinion. Smile

We can agree on one thing - The VTT records are my worst, but in my defense, those records were written, played, and mixed in 9 days. Considering the amount of time and effort I put into my projects, those records are fast food.

Actually two things - HBC has the best writing. Smile
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and neither does my opinion.

especially since I heard you sing "Single ladies" on GW!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a singer (not me, her).
ma36scott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one. Oz Noy's version of Cissy Strut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCkx5O7zUU0

Head starts at 1:30. This time though, the drums are straight 4/4 and it's the main riff/melody that's all displaced: 4/4 7/8 4/4 9/8

Probably alot easier to dance to when the drums are solid like this

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: