Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Economy vs alternate
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Economy vs alternate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play 11's and tuning down to Eb made a big difference, but with 13's you'd have to have very strong hands, tuning down or not. One thing for sure, the world of rock guitar and hollow body jazz guitar couldn't be further apart - almost like two completely different instruments. The only thing we have in common is where the notes are on the fingerboard. But I mean this in a technical way, not in a musical way, because vocabulary can be shared between the two.

Bruce definitely acknowledges the difficulties and more complex problems concerning tone which rock players have to deal with, especially after hanging around with me. Most of the hollow body guys I know are very open minded and also listen to rock and blues guitarists, but I'm sure there are still some dinosaur snobs out there who don't even think of the solid body guitar as a real instrument.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Petar"][quote="Scott Henderson"]I don't think I used it at all during the TT days. In those days my guitars were set up for speed, not tone. I was using 9's with really low action, so legato playing was much easier. Now I use 10's with medium action, so the hybrid technique probably made up for things that were too hard to play legato. That's just a guess actually - when it comes to technique I don't pay much attention to what's going on, I just do what feels natural.

When my students ask me questions about technique, I sometimes have to study how I'm playing because it's become like breathing - it's so "automatic pilot" that I've forgotten what I'm doing.[/quote]

Troy was talking about how SRV played with 13ths.
Bruce then acknowledged the fact that he was tuned to E flat, as if that makes a big difference.
I would love to see the look on Bruce's face, when he tries to play blues and constantly bend with 13ths on E flat.
He is looking it from a jazz guy's point of view but it's completely different, if you don't have to constantly bend notes.[/quote]

Petar
I can see how you may have interpreted what Bruce said like that but he definitely is completely hip to rock and blues technique. He appreciates Eddie Van Halen among others.
Up close when you watch Bruce he really beats his guitar like a blues player to get his sound. Especially when he plays his resonator with 14s😳I gave him my tele to play with 11s. At first he was hitting the strings way too hard but then when he lightened up he got his tone but it didn’t sound like his fat Bruce tone. He really depends on hitting his fat strings super hard unless he is playing fast. He has a huge dynamic range.
Scott, you get a great sound and great playing on Bruce’s guitar on Chelsea Bridge. I am impressed by that because the technique is so different from your normal technique with a strat.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be impressed Dizzy, that guitar was unbelievably easy to play. I was actually shocked - I didn't need to change my technique one bit to play it (except for not bending stings - that would've been hard). I actually had a much harder time with my Tele - I thought my fingers would fall off. The strings seem to have a lot more tension than a strat, making them really hard to push down and bend.
PetarDambovaliev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Don't be impressed Dizzy, that guitar was unbelievably easy to play. I was actually shocked - I didn't need to change my technique one bit to play it (except for not bending stings - that would've been hard). I actually had a much harder time with my Tele - I thought my fingers would fall off. The strings seem to have a lot more tension than a strat, making them really hard to push down and bend.

SRV had to glue his nails because they would fall off.
That is what happens when your style is to bend strings constantly and you play with 13s
MesolimbicNAc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how much his tone was talked about in the press and also among his fans,with references to him playng very thick strings, i've found this vid about Billy Gibbons' live rig quite interesting and,in some way, ironic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DrxfrbbF8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: