Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Bridge tone and sustain - fixed vs tremolo
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Bridge tone and sustain - fixed vs tremolo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Jackle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Bridge tone and sustain - fixed vs tremolo Reply with quote

Hi Scott!

Do you have experience with fixed bridges? You have said that the Fender 6 screw bridge has more bass than Gotoh 510. How about the Gotoh Hardtail bridge that Suhr offers, have you tried it? If you didn't use the bar at all, would you prefer to have fixed bridge in your guitars? Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love the tremolo bridge, it does make the guitar sound smaller. A hardtail bridge will make it sound like you went up a string gauge - maybe two! If I didn't use the bar at all I'd go for the hard tail bridge, but I'd use a Fender because it has the regular bent saddles, which in my opinion sound better than the block saddles Gotoh uses.
Dr.Jackle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
As much as I love the tremolo bridge, it does make the guitar sound smaller. A hardtail bridge will make it sound like you went up a string gauge - maybe two! If I didn't use the bar at all I'd go for the hard tail bridge, but I'd use a Fender because it has the regular bent saddles, which in my opinion sound better than the block saddles Gotoh uses.

Ok, this is interesting! Is this particular to the Fender bent saddles, or is that how bent saddles sound compared to block saddles in general? How does the sound differ?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a Fender thing, but different companies use different types of steel so I guess that could be a factor. My experiment was to record notes on my E & B strings with my normal Fender bridge, then put block saddles on those strings and record again. I didn't like what I heard - the block saddles caused a lack of sustain, and also made the notes sound choked and a little smaller. No one has ever told me what block saddles are supposed to accomplish, but I don't think they're doing it.
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was inspired to deck my trem after reading this. I did it a long time ago but then floated it for years. It really does sound way meatier. Less “airy” but lots more girth. I think people playing clean pop or funk backup parts would like floating more but for blues or jazz decked sounds fuller.
It is a bummer not being able to vibrato both ways though. That is a big part of your style Scott—
Also playing out of a 4x12 it already sounds huge. I play 1x12 ir 2x12 so decking makes more of a difference I think.
Thanasis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzy, did you notice a difference in the string height or the ease of bending? I am asking because I went back and forth with my bro's strat without any measurements but it felt a bit weird having it decked, although as you said, it makes a difference soundwise. It might just be the sight of the weird angle that put me off, but also bending the strings with those tiny frets was impossible when it was decked. It sure felt looser when we went back to floating.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange Thanasis—

The guy who set my guitar up said it would feel stiffer but to me it is easier to bend. He also put on a 4th spring.
I think your experience is the common one.
It might be that what I am feeling is that I don’t have to go as far to bend.
That is what my friend told me—-when it is floating it is easier to bend but you have to bend farther to get to pitch.
He was able to match my action floating and non floating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: