Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100 Bob Bradshaw era?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100 Bob Bradshaw era?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesyland

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100 Bob Bradshaw era? Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
I want to ask you what you think about the Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100 Bob Bradshaw era. I have the possibility of buy one used but in perfect condition. Here, for example, a marshall dsl100 jcm2000 is about 1500 dollars and this OD100 at 2500 dollars. What do you think about this possibility?
What I know is that the clean channel is fendery and the crunch channel is marshally. Then, it has a master volume, so it´s possible to play with it in small places?
Thanks for your comment!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great amp - when John Suhr took over the manufacturing from Bob, he didn't change the design. Later he made a version with EL34 tubes instead of 6550's, which are more like Fender 6L6 tubes.

It's a much better amp than a Marshall JCM 2000. You're right, the clean channel sounds very much like a Fender, and the other channel is more like a Marshall. Personally I like John's EL34 version more because it's even closer to a Marshall, but the 6550 version is great too.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, the OD100 is in the top 3 amps I’ve EVER played! It’s also an amp that the Suhr folks can modify too. My favorite version had the SH mod on the clean channel and an SE mod on the second channel. VERY “open” sounding amp. Can’t say enough good things about it...

Good luck.
Chris
bluesyland

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
It's a great amp - when John Suhr took over the manufacturing from Bob, he didn't change the design. Later he made a version with EL34 tubes instead of 6550's, which are more like Fender 6L6 tubes.

It's a much better amp than a Marshall JCM 2000. You're right, the clean channel sounds very much like a Fender, and the other channel is more like a Marshall. Personally I like John's EL34 version more because it's even closer to a Marshall, but the 6550 version is great too.

Many thanks Scott for your comments!
I bought it and arrived home yesterday. It´s a monster amp, so beautiful cleans and distorstion. Deep bass, wow!
It has Sovtek 5881 wxt power tubes. I´m matching it with an economy 2x12 v-types cab at 4 ohms and sound great. Can you recommend me any guitar cab to match it? What do you think about Marshall 1960? And the 1936?
Thanks you so much Scott!!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I meant 5881's. I don't know where 6550 came from.....

I'm a big fan of Greenback speakers so if you're going for a 4x12 (which I think that amp really needs), I'd go with either a Suhr or Bogner cab (empty), because they have real wood backs, not that cheap pressboard shit that Marshall uses. Those things sound pretty bad.

If you want the best sounding cab ever, get a Kerry Wright cab, but be prepared to drop some cash - they're about 1700, empty.

Put four 8 ohm Greenbacks in the cab and wire it in series/ parallel - that way the amp will run at 8 ohms and sound it's best.

There's a wiring diagram here - it's the last one of the four.

https://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
pudaw

Location: Ipsum beatae minus optio dolor quidem consequat Quisquam porro quam deserunt aut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In carry box car the amplifier was block the access to the luggage in the back seats then I have removed that model. Sound was getting break from the speakers to inform me australia writings brand for the musical students.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bluesyland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I'm sorry, I meant 5881's. I don't know where 6550 came from.....

I'm a big fan of Greenback speakers so if you're going for a 4x12 (which I think that amp really needs), I'd go with either a Suhr or Bogner cab (empty), because they have real wood backs, not that cheap pressboard shit that Marshall uses. Those things sound pretty bad.

If you want the best sounding cab ever, get a Kerry Wright cab, but be prepared to drop some cash - they're about 1700, empty.

Put four 8 ohm Greenbacks in the cab and wire it in series/ parallel - that way the amp will run at 8 ohms and sound it's best.

There's a wiring diagram here - it's the last one of the four.

https://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

Thanks Scott for all your recomendations!
I got another question:
From your old site scotthenderson.net in the gear zone appear this: "Scott's amp is a Suhr SH100 , which is a hand-wired version of channel 2 on the OD100 Classic, but with an aluminum chassis, plexi Marshall layout and no extra switches."
In this case, is it possible to take the SH100 sound with my OD100, although is a 5881´s amp?
I hear that the clean channel is the best part of my amp, but maybe I don´t know how to dial it in 2nd channel. What do you say?
Good luck!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When John made the SH100, he basically cloned my '71 Marshall, which includes the tubes and transformer. Those two things are what separates it from the crunch channel of the OD 100. The OD-100 Classic is a great amp - it's what I use when I tour in Europe, and though I've never compared the two amps on an amp switcher, the only difference I hear is that the SH-100 has more mid and tighter bass, which is typical of Marshall vs. Fender. It's pretty subtile - when I gig at home with the SH, the mid is around 4, and on my Europe gigs with the OD-100, the mid is around 5. I really don't notice that much of a difference between the two amps - playing different rooms every night makes a much bigger difference in the guitar tone.

Yes the clean channel of the OD-100 is like a great Fender. If you're using Ch 2 with a pedal and a 4x12, these setting will at least get you in the ball park:

gain 5 bass 1 middle 5 treble 4 presence 6
bluesyland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt response Scott. You are so generous!
Kind regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: