Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Vintage speakers???
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Vintage speakers???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funksteroo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Vintage speakers??? Reply with quote

Hey Scott, I heard you say that you now have four vintage speakers in your cab. Have they been reconed or just miraculously preserved, and do they really sound better than new? Just been curious about that since you said it and I've heard about others doing that as well....

Thanks for your time
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4x12 with Chinese Greenbacks which I use most of the time, and also a 4x12 with two '69 Greenbacks, a '71 Greenback, and a '71 G12H. The vintage speakers are a bit darker and break up easier. They sound like Led Zeppelin, that's the best way to describe it. Smile I'm not crazy about the G12H - it's kinda nasal sounding, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it.
Rifflord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're a greenbacks guy but do you have any recommendations of speaker for a fender type amp? Mine is a SF Fender twin modded so that the vibrato knob is replaced with a presence. I would eventually like to get the same speakers in the amp that I use for impulses.

The reactive load into MixIR is great but it's still way different than my raw amp tone (like you said), and requires slightly different settings. (and that tiny bit of latency bothers me to no end)

The amp currently has stock, kinda soso speakers with a fender logo on them. No clue what they are but they sound better than MixIR running 2x12 open back Greenback and Vintage 30s (tried both separately) by Celestion.

Maybe I could get closer with a different set of celestion IR's??? I can't do the ownhammer or redwires stuff it sounds like someones thrown a pillow over the amp to me.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help you with this one - I don't know anything about speakers in Fender amps. I know a lot about Celestions but not much about American made speakers. I'd call a music store that sells vintage gear - at least they'd tell you what vintage speakers to look for, or if anyone is making good sounding speakers now. I think John Suhr has a message board and answers questions - he'd be the guy to ask.
Rifflord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Sorry I can't help you with this one - I don't know anything about speakers in Fender amps. I know a lot about Celestions but not much about American made speakers. I'd call a music store that sells vintage gear - at least they'd tell you what vintage speakers to look for, or if anyone is making good sounding speakers now. I think John Suhr has a message board and answers questions - he'd be the guy to ask.

Cool I'll reach out to him I had no idea he had his own forum! thanks EDIT: i've posted there before...i'm an idiot.
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rifflord wrote:
I know you're a greenbacks guy but do you have any recommendations of speaker for a fender type amp? Mine is a SF Fender twin modded so that the vibrato knob is replaced with a presence. I would eventually like to get the same speakers in the amp that I use for impulses.

The reactive load into MixIR is great but it's still way different than my raw amp tone (like you said), and requires slightly different settings. (and that tiny bit of latency bothers me to no end)

The amp currently has stock, kinda soso speakers with a fender logo on them. No clue what they are but they sound better than MixIR running 2x12 open back Greenback and Vintage 30s (tried both separately) by Celestion.

Maybe I could get closer with a different set of celestion IR's??? I can't do the ownhammer or redwires stuff it sounds like someones thrown a pillow over the amp to me.

Personally, even in American amps I prefer British speakers. In a Twin you’ll need speakers that can handle the power output. Adam Rogers uses V30s in his Twin, and I find that those speakers are a decent match. If you want something voiced more like a Greenback, the Creamback speaker is a good option. Also check out the G12-65, particularly if you like Carlton or Ford tones. Scott uses a G12-65 in his Hot Rod Deluxe, by the way.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fender Landau amp. It’s basically a Hot Rod channel 1 amp. It’s a GREAT pedal amp! Very clean, like a blackface Fender. You REALLY have to push the amp to get it to overdrive and even then it’s only a slight breakup. The amp comes with V-type Celestions and I think they sound great!!! The amp is a 2x12 BTW...

Best,
Chris
Rifflord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to pick up that sale they have where you pick out 5 speakers for 29.99 and just grab 5 different 1x12's closed backs.

Ive been using the 2x12 opens- seems a 1x12 would be closer to what you would hear micing one speaker?? who knows. Until someone comes out with something the same or better quality I'm going to have to play around with different combinations of celestions IRs.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experimented a bunch with speakers in open back 1x12 fender amps.

My 3 favorites are:

1. Creamback h75

2. Creamback 65

3. V type

The h75 sounds biggest in 1x12 open back cab because it has the huge magnet. One problem is that it is scooped so if you use an overdrive like a ts9 or even sd9 it fills in the mids and sounds great but just clean it can be kinda harsh.

The 65 is the sweetest sounding to me—like a greenback with more watts.
The only problem is that in the 1x12 open back there is not enough bass so it ends up sounding a little small.

The v type is like a cross between the two speakers I mentioned. I can see why Suhr and Landau both like them in smaller back cabs.

Recently I have been using a 2x12 open cab and it sounds more then 2 times bigger then a 1x12. With at least 2 speakers I think it is much easier to get a good sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: