Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - IR’s...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

IR’s...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to us on that power cord.

While we’re talking about it, do you know Allan Holdsworth’s recording setup? I think he consistently got fantastic tones and his gear changed quite a bit. From what I’ve heard, he would always use cabinets and microphones, with various preamps, and power amps, but I’m curious if HE tried IR’s...

Thanks again Scott... 😃

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if he ever tried IR's, but he did two different things in the studio. One was to use transistor amps with a cabinet - they don't care how loud they are, so no need to play at volumes which disturb the family or neighbors. The other was with a loud tube amp which he ran into his "harness", a load box he invented. It was like the Suhr load box but very compressed - he loaned it to me for Tribal Tech Reality Check. Out of the harness you go into a transistor power amp to run the speaker at low volume. He liked to record late at night so he built a large box which had a speaker and mic mounted inside it - it was extremely quiet.

He changed amps quite often but my favorite tone was when he was using the Lee Jackson preamp into a tube power amp (not sure which one). Of course I love his tone with Tony Williams - an SG and a Marshall - but Allan hated it, I'm sure because it was raw sounding and he was going for a smoother tone. I know he never put the mic anywhere near the cone of the speaker, so he got the treble he needed from the amp or EQ.
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll go with sunlight and IRs for now:)

But there is something satisfying about having the live tone match the studio tone—-capturing your tone instead of creating your tone.
I have heard some players with great album tone and bad live tone. But now that I think of it, these are mostly rock guys in bands and I’m hearing the mains so that might fuck it up.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nobody fucks up tone like a clueless sound man... don't get me started. That's why my little Boss Loop Station is the most important pedal I own - I can go out to the board and EQ the guitar myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: