Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - John Mayer & Akai MPC X
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

John Mayer & Akai MPC X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkLawrence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: John Mayer & Akai MPC X Reply with quote

Errrrr... I'll just leave this here.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/john-mayer-when-im-playing-on-peoples-sessions-i-dont-bring-an-amp-i-record-all-my-guitars-through-my-akai-mpc
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about John Mayer so this means nothing to me.
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I don't know anything about John Mayer so this means nothing to me.

That's probably for the best.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to sound like I have anything against him, I've honestly never heard him play. What put me off is his statement that he uses his vintage amps (which obviously he can afford) on his own records and uses a gizmo when he does sessions for other people. I'd be willing to bet my life that the gizmo doesn't sound as good, so to me that's like ripping those people off. When I do sessions for other people, I use the same vintage gear that I use on my own albums because I want to give my clients the best tone available to me. That's just my two cents. I'm sure John Mayer knows that his gizmo doesn't sound as good as his real amps, and if he does, it's time to get those ears checked.
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that too Scott, but then I “sorta” (that term used very loosely) that the producers he’s working with may want to change his guitar tone quite a bit to fit THEIR idea of what HIS guitar to e should sound like in that particular song. So it kinda sounded like he records direct and then they re-amp his track(s) quite a bit to fit the song. BUT, then why ask John Mayer to come in and play?

I can’t imagine John needs the session work that much but hey, to each their own.

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get it... but ouch! I'd hate to think of some producer running my tracks through a Roland Jazz Chorus thinking yeah, this is the shit.

It doesn't really make much sense to hire a player with a voice, then disguise it. If a producer needs generic guitar tracks, it's much cheaper to hire a generic sounding guitar player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: