Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - VTT - The Captors tone
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

VTT - The Captors tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KurtisL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: VTT - The Captors tone Reply with quote

Hey Scott, I'm curious about your chord swells throughout this song. Primarily about which effects you were using to get this sound, and perhaps you could share some tips for dialing in that kind of swell where you don't hear the distinct delay sounds or get flooded with reverb etc.
Thanks
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a sound I've used many times, thanks to it's inventor Allan Holdsworth. He showed me how to do it using 4 stereo digital delays, but now you can do the same thing with computer plug-in delays. Later Allan became a Yamaha endorser and he helped them design the UD Stomp, a pedal which is basically 4 stereo modulation delays in one box. If you use plug-ins, you have to use 4 stereo delays on one bus which lets the delays feed into each other. Allan's exact settings are in the UD Stomp presets manual which you can find online - just copy the settings to your plug-ins. If you're not using plug-ins, you really need a UD Stomp, because the delay has to have 8 separate taps, each with it's own time, panning, modulation, and feedback parameters.

There's an easier way, but you still need two separate stereo delays, one feeding into the other. Set the first delay to around 100ms L and 200ms R with no feedback, into the second delay set to around 350ms L and 450ms R, and adjust the feedback to your liking. Set the 350ms feedback a little higher so both sides die out at the same time. Run that into a stereo chorus pedal and it'll sound great, though it's not quite as thick as using 4 stereo modulation delays. If that sounds too complicated, just buy a UD Stomp. Yamaha later made a pedal called Magic Stomp which can also make this sound, and I'm pretty sure the Strymon TimeLine can do it.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll add that the UD Stomp was a FANTASTIC sounding pedal and is now worth quite a bit of money. Thankfully, like Scott said, Yamaha made a MAGICSTOMP. There was a guitar version, a bass and I believe an acoustic version but whichever one you have, you can download whatever sounds you need. They can be found used for around $100. Allan used like 6 of these magic stomps for his live tone for several years and sounded great!!!

Best,
Chris
KurtisL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I found the UD stomp settings but I'm yet to acquire a pedal/unit that'll be able to process that... Wink

Thanks for the info Scott!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: