Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - reverse headstock strat
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

reverse headstock strat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: reverse headstock strat Reply with quote

Hey Scott

I just had a friend put a new neck on one of my strats for an experiment. It is a reverse head stock.
I haven't really played it much yet but it is really cool--the bass strings have more tension and the treble less so the bass is really tight.

Curious if you have ever experimented with these.

See you on Friday at the Potato!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I've never tried it but it seems that it would make the feel of the guitar completely different. After you've played it awhile, please tell us how you like it.
Red Suede

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the reverse. The bass strings have less tension and the treble strings more tension. Am I wrong?
Thanasis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dizzy is right. Think of the same gauge in a short scale instrument with the same tuning. It feels looser. What happens is that now the low E string is the longest string, which means more tension. My guess is that you could have more sustain on the wound strings? Considering that you lose sustain when you use 10's in a very short scale guitar, wouldn't it be vice versa?
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes-that’s right Thanasis. The would strings have more tension.
And the treble strings are “shorter”.
It is really hard for me to make a judgment on what the effects were because the neck is different from the previous one that was on the guitar.

Before, I had a really thin neck with a maple fretboard and small frets. This new neck is rosewood with tall frets and it is thick.
The guitar sounds really big and full now and before it sounded thin and plnky compared to my other strat.
I’d be curious to know if anyone has compared reverse headstock strats to regular headstock strats with two similar guitars.
My friend who made the neck says reverse is tighter in the bass but I would assume that would mean it is also be darker on the treble strings.
I think with Jimi Hendrix his strat would have been like a non reverse headstock because he held it left handed. Now my spacial recognition skills are reaching their limit:)
Red Suede

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I have a reverse headstock Chapman and the wound strings feel looser, easier to bend. All this Physics.. (Heh)
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure I agree with this assessment. We aren’t changing scale length which would DEFINITELY have an effect on the tension of the string. I found this article that may straighten (pun intended) things out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_vibration

Best,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: