Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Volume pot wiring, anyone?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Volume pot wiring, anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Volume pot wiring, anyone? Reply with quote

Hi.

Just wondering if it makes any difference to wire pickups to the ground (by putting pickups at the centre lug of volume pot) or the hot output to the ground (by putting the pickups to the leftmost lug and output at the middle)?

One source told it doesn't affect the overall tone, but does this mean that it doesn't make any difference at all?

Most use the latter approach so I'm guessing that there is a diference. Couldn't find any justification for that. I have always used the first approach since it seems more intuitive and it has worked just fine.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just chiming in to say I have no idea. I think John Suhr has a message board - he'd be the one to ask.
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I know that wiring pickups to ground is used when that feature is wanted that two pickups are combined and shutting down one pickup volume completely won't bleed all signal to ground. That's the main use, but why wouldn't this work on single volume pot also? It seems to.

One disadvantage would be with this approach that I can think of is that the guitar cord is effectively not shortcircuited when guitar volume pot is turned fully down. Could this be some problem to the amp or something? More noise perhaps generated from the cord?

Thanks Scott for the tip, but I'm too lazy to register Suhr's board and I'm a much, much bigger fan of yours. Don't have any Suhr guitars also, so maybe they wouldn't even accept me.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should be embarrassed because I know absolutely nothing about guitar wiring, or how to do it. The only thing I know is that I don't like that treble bleed cap & resistor on the volume pot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: