Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Tubes...thoughts?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Tubes...thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Tubes...thoughts? Reply with quote

Scott,

Of all the tone stuff I’ve seen you discuss from your masterclass to every guitar wank, this site, etc...I don’t really recall you mentioning tubes. It usually focuses on speakers, mic placement, signal path, etc.

What are your thoughts on tubes and how they affect sound? Or do you even have any? Do you care? I know there are people who claim tubes have their own EQ and there are all sorts of claims of wizardry and whatnot.

Then I hear someone like Suhr say to just use the current production stuff (or X tube it shipped with) because the amp is tuned to it. My rudimentary understanding is that they just pass electrons so I have no idea how one could have midrange vs extended bottom end in another blah blah blah.

Anyways, are tubes something you give a shit about other than whether or not they work?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubes definitely make a difference in the tone - I was told that NOS tubes are really good but when I tried them in one of my Suhr amps, all it did was give it a lot more bass, and the JJ tubes which came with the amp sounded much better. Maybe NOS tubes are better for older vintage amps, I have no idea.

I've never spent much time comparing different tube brands, so that's why it's not mentioned here much - I'm not an expert. John says it's important to get a good matched set that's dependable - that seems to be more of an issue with him than comparing different brands, so I use JJ's and I've never had a problem with them.

I'm sure there are others on this forum who have more of an opinion about it than me, so maybe we'll both learn something!
blackstratblues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recall, John’s most recent thoughts are that JJ EL34s are getting unreliable and that Electro Harmonix EL34s may be the way to go.

In most Marshall circuits, the first preamp tube (V1) makes the most pronounced difference, and I’ve had great luck with a NOS 12AX7 here.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read -or was told- that if an amp designer uses new tubes during designing and fine tuning an amp, putting NOS in it makes little to no sense at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: