Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Combo for Wet/Dry
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Combo for Wet/Dry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Combo for Wet/Dry Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I've been interested in doing a wet/dry rig and I have a hot rod with a greenback for the wet. For the dry, I was thinking of getting a Badger or Bella (taking the CAA 100 head for most gigs is overkill).

Any thoughts on what combo you would use / recommend for a dry section of the rig....?

J
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I'm not crazy about either one of those amps. The Bella has no master volume so it doesn't get crunchy until it's really loud, and the Badger is a class A amp. It doesn't make thick notes like a Fender or Marshall - strictly for twangy blues.

I'd go for a 50 watt clone of a Marshall with a master volume, but I don't know which companies are making them.
blackstratblues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be checking out the PT15IR? There’s also going to be a PT50 in the future, according to Pete.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably try the IR box, but I haven't had much luck with the PT amps. Last year a Suhr dealer brought me a PT100 to use at Ronnie Scott's in London - an OD100 wasn't available. I ended up using the Marshall JCM 2000 they had already rented for me. In my opinion the PT100 was designed for metal - much more gain and mid than an OD100 - just not my thing.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Scott, I think the answer is Third Power. Their stuff looks pretty fucking awesome.

Check these out:

http://3rdpower.com/products/amps/kitchen-sink/

http://3rdpower.com/products/amps/dirty_sink/

http://3rdpower.com/products/amps/dream-50-plexi/
blackstratblues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I'll probably try the IR box, but I haven't had much luck with the PT amps. Last year a Suhr dealer brought me a PT100 to use at Ronnie Scott's in London - an OD100 wasn't available. I ended up using the Marshall JCM 2000 they had already rented for me. In my opinion the PT100 was designed for metal - much more gain and mid than an OD100 - just not my thing.

I would think it would be easy enough for John to put a OD100 Classic preamp together with the 2x 6V6 Poweramp that the PT15 has. Maybe you should ask him Wink
Mojolang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a complicating question. I did go with the 3rd Power amp, but it's a one-channel, not dissimilar to a lower wattage SH100.

If you were going to use your setup but look for the quickest way to add the ability to switch to super clean, what would you do (without adding more heavy gear or spending $ on another amp).

So just imagine you're using two combos (a SH50 combo - like the SH100 but 50 watt combo for sake of argument - and a HRD combo both with G1265). Seems to me that the HRD would be always fed the line level signal in which the FX are and you would need to use the HRD pre-loop out to the speaker of the SH...but the problem is that it seems to me that that's also line level)....

Obviously the "simple" answer is just get a dirty amp that has channel switching.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it seems to me there has to be a way to bypass the preamp section of the "SH" (3rd power).

Thanks to whoever can field this likely stupid (and/or overthought) question....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: