Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Using the Suhr RL with a DI
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Using the Suhr RL with a DI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackstratblues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Is this free software? I see a pay with PayPal option, but the price is 0.00, so why use PayPal and not just a download? He mentions the full version being able to change impedances and export, so how much is that version?

The free version comes with just a Mesa 4x12 V30 cab to evaluate, but once you have the software open you can purchase the full version and other cab packs, I believe.

https://ml-sound-lab.com/collections/plugins/products/mikko-full-license

Maybe contact him directly, and I’m sure he would consider arranging an artist trial version for you?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info but this looks questionable to me. I wouldn't spend over 100 bucks for a small amount of IR's from shitty cabinets. Marshall stopped making decent speaker cabinets in the early 70's. To make a decent IR, you first need decent gear to model, and I don't see any here.

OwnHammer has 1960's Marshall cabinets, with 10 different mic placements from the center of the cone to the edge of the speaker, so the ability to freely move the mic around isn't important, as demonstrated by the Two Notes software.

If anyone has actually tried the Mikko IR's and think they sound better than Celestion or OwnHammer, please let me know.
blackstratblues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little test clip I did with the demo version of Mikko. It's the V30 cab, but enough to give you a rough idea.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OMGujjtaoO7R5sle7QzOF6WnFoWvEi5g

I've sent you his contact via PM, I'm sure he would love to send you an evaluation copy (and give you more info on the actual cabs he made IRs of) Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clip - it sounds good, but without a proper A/B test I have no way to know. A lot of the IR's I have sound good, but I have the real thing to compare them to, and then I hear why most professional guitarists are still mic'ing cabinets. I actually hate Vintage 30's, so even though your clip sounds good to my ears, if I hear it compared with a Greenback it'll be no contest. Again, if I'm a snob, so be it - I didn't see a cabinet he modeled that's worth modeling. Try the OwnHammer basket weave collection of 1960's Marshall cabs - I think you're gonna like it more.

Thanks for the offer but I buy all my gear, with very few exceptions. I'll try something for free only if there's a 90% chance I'm going to like it. I've been through it enough times to know that telling someone you don't like their gear is a drag, and some people can't take no for an answer. They want to know why, and are always looking for famous guinea pigs to help them improve their products - I don't have time for that. I'm not saying that Mikko is one of those people but I'll give him some free advice - it's not enough to improve the technology. If he buys some Kerry Wright or 60's Marshall cabinets and wires them as I described above, I'd buy his IR's and check them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: