Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Future touring
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Future touring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amusecian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Future touring Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
are you coming to Europe this year?
Finland is still waiting..
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some festivals in Italy this summer - I'll post the dates soon. My agent is planning a Europe Spring 2019 tour, so hopefully we'll play in Finland. We're going to be touring in South America and Asia in October.
HughWilliams

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Jacksonville, FL Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
Hugh Williams here. Please let me know when you'll be in Florida...its been a long time since I've seen you. I'll let our buddy Pete Thoennes know! Thanks! Hugh
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My agent has looked pretty hard in South Florida and can't find a venue that pays enough to make it worth the trip. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks Hugh.
fusion58

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
We have some festivals in Italy this summer - I'll post the dates soon. My agent is planning a Europe Spring 2019 tour, so hopefully we'll play in Finland. We're going to be touring in South America and Asia in October.

Where in Asia? Cool
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we have some gigs in China, Thailand, Indonesia (not confirmed), but it's early and I'm sure we'll have a good tour. I was hoping to go to Japan but they want to wait until the new album is out so we'll probably try to do a tour of Japan sometime next year.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming to Chicago Scott? I know you’ve been up here a couple times and I’d LOVE to see your band again!

Best,

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo is working on a US tour for spring 2019. We don't know if we'll do it yet, it depends on the budget he gets vs. expenses, but if we go I'm sure we'll play Reggies - I love that place.
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn’t able to make the Reggie’s gig but I saw you at Martyr’s and Ray STILL raves about how f’n funny you guys were. He had nothing but great things to say about you all.

“Can I have a paper towel and some tape for a completely different reason?” I’m sure you don’t remember saying that (after the drummer asked for a paper towel and tape) but us in the audience almost pissed our pants!!! 😃😃😃

Best,
Chris
fusion58

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
So far we have some gigs in China, Thailand, Indonesia (not confirmed), but it's early and I'm sure we'll have a good tour. I was hoping to go to Japan but they want to wait until the new album is out so we'll probably try to do a tour of Japan sometime next year.

Listening to the GW podcast last night, I heard you mention you were coming to Bangkok in October, Scott.

Any confirmed date(s) or venue(s) yet?

In any event, I'm stoked! Very Happy
MesolimbicNAc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock singer Fish( former singer of Marillion) posted this, it is an honest insight on the finacial trouble an artist has to face with Touring:

"The dates I have posted for this year are the only shows I am playing in Europe. Some of you have asked why not Italy? France? Spain? etc etc.

The bottom line is that with band and crew wages,agency commission,local/national taxes, nightliner bus and hotel costs, fuel, food and all the other sundries associated with day to day touring working on an average of 5 shows a week I need at least £5000 a gig to pay for it all. And that is before I make a penny!

To put it in perspective the offers I have had from Italy so far are on guarantees of around 2000 euros.I only work to guarantees as the percentages I get if more people show up mean nothing if they don't and I have been clobbered in the past taking gambles.I am personally responsible for all my costs and to the people I employ.

It's all very well posting here about such and such a town or country but turning up in such and such a town or city because 12 people have posted here doesn't mean that the thousand or so I need to make up the numbers will appear.

The promoters make their offers on what they think is the tickets they know they will sell for definite. They don't want to lose their shirt and neither do I.

My agent does his best to find me the shows but if promoters aren't willing to pay the money to support my costs then there is no show.There's no point in throwing the toys out the pram on this it's just a reality.I accept that.

Too many bands are touring because they can't make money on physical album sales and 'Johnny Punter' has only so much disposable income to spend on concert tickets never mind the time in their lives to attend gigs.Some bands and promoters are getting hurt out there especially when 'premier' bands come out with tickets at £65 plus and hoover up that 'disposable income' leaving the 'championship' and 'lower league' bands struggling to sell venues.. It's the way the music business is these days. I accept that.

So what do I do? Hike ticket prices higher and play to a more 'select' and well heeled audience to get the guarantees higher? I don't think a lot of fans would be happy about that and I think the attendances would suffer.

Play more shows in a week to spread the costs? Physically I can't play 4 shows in a row anymore without it having detrimental effects on my voice and 3 on day off 3 doesn't work either as we have travel movements and venue availabilities to take into account.- and that is a tough call on a long tour even if we could get the rabbits in a row!

I'm not going to go over the North America question again here as I am tired of dealing with explanations. All I will say is there are even more costs involved there and I couldn't make 13 shows work with guarantees of $150 000.

In 2016 I was harangued by Spanish fans to replace shows in Madrid and Barcelona after cancelling them through illness on the previous tour. I made the effort and came down with 2 shows in 5 days due to travel distances. I played to around 800 people across those 2 gigs. The promoter lost money as did I. He hasn't offered what I need this year.

I'd like to get out in April/ May 2019 and play those countries missing on this years schedules but I can't take risks and cannot afford to lose money especially at this time in my life. My agent is continuing to try and bring touring together and he will continue to haggle best he can to make it happen but I'm afraid the bottom line is if the guarantees aren't there then I have to stay at home.

And just to add to the difficulties I already have making budgets work in a couple of years the shambles that is Brexit is potentially going to make things far worse than is now in the coming years.

Working visas for every European country for band and crew, Carnets at every border crossing with VAT checks and accounting meaning long delays getting to shows on buses and trucks whose drive time is regulated which will threaten shows as we can't guarantee arriving on time. Reciprocal tax agreements potentially thrown out the window meaning we can't claim - for example - 19% tax we pay in Germany on all shows after production costs. The list goes on and on.

Touring is a very hard and difficult undertaking and requires a lot of logistical thinking and financing to pull it off. If it works then great but if it doesn't the downside is potentially disastrous.I prefer not to court disaster these days.

I love playing shows and this 50 date tour this year is a massive exercise that has proved and will prove very demanding. We have managed to make the figures work on these gigs but even then there are a couple of gambles in order to make the routing work.

Just because we aren't playing in your town , city or country shouldn't be taken personally. It's not through choice it's through lack of viable offers from promoters and,sad to say, demand.

Some will say "oh here he goes moaning again". I'm not. I accept the reality of my situation and I wish some people out there would accept it too.

I am retiring from the music business in 2020 and it's the right time. Until then enjoy the shows while they are still there and I sincerely appreciate your support on this upcoming tour.
We will have some fun Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: