Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - 3 quick things.
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

3 quick things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: 3 quick things. Reply with quote

Scott,

1) I cloned your rig from the 2011 (or was it 2012) tour. I loved the SD9 through hot rod w/G12.

Now I am using an OD-100CL+...currently tone tubby ceramics but going to change to the celestions (2x12). That said, it's harder for me to dial in a tone I like as much. Do you have any suggestions on how you use channel 2 of that amp with the RC and SD? I do indeed need to noodle more...

2) I was thinking about running that rig stereo with a fuchs ODS50 through the Deville. Prohibitive gear carrying aside, is bi-amping amazing for tone (sounds like it when Bonamassa does it)?

3) I am leaving for LA tonight going to be in town for the week. Any killer vegetarian restaurants?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My settings for Channel 2 (crunch channel) with pedals are:
presence 6, bass 2, middle 5 treble 4 volume 4 gain 7
Sometimes presence 5, treble 5
Your settings might vary because of playing style, which cabinet and speakers you use, etc. I use a 4x12 sitting directly on the floor so I need very little bass from the amp.

I'm not crazy about stereo rigs. There are too many mono PA systems out there, so the audience isn't going to hear it like you do. Even if the PA is stereo, the people on the right will only hear your right side and vice versa. Not a great idea in my opinion.

Even when I hear stereo guitar on records, (for example, using very short L-R delays to "widen" the image, it sounds like an effect to me. I use it from time to time just for something different, but in general I pan the guitar a little to one side and pan some delay to the other side and it sounds stereo without trying to make the guitar into a stereo instrument, which it's not.

Gyu-kaku! It's known as a Japanese BB restaurant, but they have lots of good vegetables to grill. That place rocks!
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

I'm not crazy about stereo rigs. There are too many mono PA systems out there, so the audience isn't going to hear it like you do. Even if the PA is stereo, the people on the right will only hear your right side and vice versa. Not a great idea in my opinion.

Even when I hear stereo guitar on records, (for example, using very short L-R delays to "widen" the image, it sounds like an effect to me. I use it from time to time just for something different, but in general I pan the guitar a little to one side and pan some delay to the other side and it sounds stereo without trying to make the guitar into a stereo instrument, which it's not

Hi Scott,

Just to follow up a little bit on your comment on stereo rigs...you did use one for quite a while though right?

What led you to do that given what you say here? Did you find that it helped with legato playing for example?

I know you prefer your tone today (and I for one always enjoy your tones a lot) but you might be surprised to know there are quite a few people who really like your older tones as well and are after those sounds.

So keeping that in mind, if you were going to go for a more "legato friendly" tone today, would you go back to a stereo rig and play with double screw pick ups etc?

Thanks and the new section of your board is a great idea!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit that I liked the sound of a stereo rig behind me for a couple reasons. The ADA chorus I was using in stereo made the clean tones huge sounding, and having a small delay between the left and right side diffused the notes and made legato playing cleaner sounding, as well as making the image bigger.

What changed it all for me was, I began to realize that without all the stereo imaging, my actual tone wasn't really that good. I was using .009 strings which even with humbuckers sounded horribly thin, and the guitars and amps were crap compared to what I use now. After I got my first OD-100, I started playing mono again and it became more about the sound of the instrument, not the effects. Also I'd heard tapes of gigs where the engineer was summing my L and R together, or micing just one side, and that's what the audience was hearing - sounded terrible.

I can still pull off legato phrases using .011's and single coils - I don't miss stereo or humbuckers one bit.
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I'll admit that I liked the sound of a stereo rig behind me for a couple reasons. The ADA chorus I was using in stereo made the clean tones huge sounding, and having a small delay between the left and right side diffused the notes and made legato playing cleaner sounding, as well as making the image bigger.

What changed it all for me was, I began to realize that without all the stereo imaging, my actual tone wasn't really that good. I was using .009 strings which even with humbuckers sounded horribly thin, and the guitars and amps were crap compared to what I use now. After I got my first OD-100, I started playing mono again and it became more about the sound of the instrument, not the effects. Also I'd heard tapes of gigs where the engineer was summing my L and R together, or micing just one side, and that's what the audience was hearing - sounded terrible.

I can still pull off legato phrases using .011's and single coils - I don't miss stereo or humbuckers one bit.

Thanks very much for the reply. I have to say that I actually did like your older tone(s) a lot but I understand it isn't what you prefer now. I know you can definitely tear it up with the current rig (and probably a lot of less forgiving set-ups) and I certainly really enjoy the bluesier more aggressive tone but it seemed that there was an almost effortless and smooth quality to your legato playing in that period which I very much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, do you like any other tones that you hear live these days with stereo imaging like that of Holdsworth for example?

Thanks again
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan is the only one I know of who still does the live stereo rig. It fits his style of playing, and the couple times I saw him at the Baked Potato it sounded great because it's a small room and you hear mostly what's coming off stage.

On HBC, I tried the stereo image thing on a couple tracks, and even without humbuckers, it sounded like the tone on the old Tribal Tech records. It's a very recognizable sound and it really cleans up all the mess of distortion guitar by diffusing the notes, but it still sounds like an effect to me. So that's how I treat it these days, as a cool effect to use when it fits the music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: