Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - celestion G12 65 vs Creamback
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

celestion G12 65 vs Creamback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gianluigi Rossi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: celestion G12 65 vs Creamback Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
have you ever made a direct comparison between these two speakers? Which are the differencies in tone? For your Hot Rod Deluxe or in general for a small 1x12 amp do you still prefer G12 65?
Thanks a lot
Gianluigi
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently tried the 16 ohm Creamback in my 2x12 and I like the 65 much more. I also prefer the normal Greenback to the Creamback or Heritage Greenback in my 4x12.

The Greenback and Heritage 65 are my two favorite speakers from Celestion. I can't think of a better speaker for a 4x12 than a Greenback - it's a tone we're familiar with because of all the great recordings made with them. I mean no disrespect to Celestion whatsoever, but in my opinion, neither the Heritage Greenback or Creamback sound much like the Greenbacks I'm used to hearing, which were the ones made in the 80's and 90's. I've tried real vintage Greenbacks from the 60's and 70's - they sound cool too but they're really dark. I have a hard time understanding why Heritage Greenbacks are brighter than normal Greenbacks, if the point is to make them sound more vintage.

In the last ten years Greenbacks have been made in China, and when they first started making them there I bought some, and didn't like them. Nine years later I bought them again and now they sound identical to my 90's Greenbacks made in England. I guess it took them some time to get it right. They're amazingly clear sounding with a beautiful round tone and plenty of bass. Both the Creamback and Heritage Greenback don't have as much bass - the tone is a little smoother in the mids, but not as clear and round on the top end.

The 65 is a bit darker than the Greenback in the 4x12, but in the 2x12 it's as bright, because the 2x12 is a brighter cab than the 4x12. (at least mine is - that probably doesn't apply to all 2x12's.)

Last edited by Scott Henderson on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Gianluigi Rossi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what's the difference you find between the Greenback and the Heritage 65? If the Greenback had a higher power would you use it in the Hot Rod Deluxe too or for that application do you think the Heritage 65 is better?
Have you ever tried the Warehouse ET 65 (that, in their opinion, is supposed to be an "upgrade" of the Heritage 65)?
Thanks a lot
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Greenback and 65 sound very similar - the 65 is just a bit darker. The 65 sounds great in the HDR but it would be fun to hear a Greenback in there. The problem is, if a Greenback had more power it wouldn't sound the same.

Yes, I heard all the Warehouse speakers and the only one I liked was the Vintage 30 clone. It doesn't have the weird midrange peak the Vintage 30 has, and the paper is thicker so it doesn't make that awful double note sound when it's turned up loud.
Stratus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to start another topic - I see that Mike Landau uses Eminence Tonespotter in his Hot Rod Deville. What is your opinion on that speaker compared to Celestion 65? I'm looking for something to replace the stock hrd speaker and it looks like there is you vs mike Very Happy
Also, do you have any experience with the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker?
Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tonespotter is brighter than a 65 or Greenback. I've never tried one in an amp, only in my 4x12 for recording and it was too bright for me. I've heard Mike use them live and he sounds great, but keep in mind he's an expert on EQing any speaker to sound good. In comparing all these speakers, it's important to remember that what works for one person might not work for another because of different playing styles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: