Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Diminished chord with b6
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Diminished chord with b6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rw852

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Diminished chord with b6 Reply with quote

Hi scott,

how do you name a diminished chord with b13(b6) ?
like this one Gdim(b13) :

3X234X

i watched joe pass's video and he said it's wrong to name it as F#13(b9),I know about the substitution, but how would you name it if you see G as the root ? thanks very much.

Ricky
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, you mean a G diminished chord with an Eb in it. Voiced from the top - G Eb Bb E. That chord usually has F# as the root, and it's just an F#13(b9). I shouldn't be teaching for free, but this is short - you can add a note up a whole step from any diminished chord tone and it doesn't change the chord's function, it just adds color. In this case you've added an Eb, which is a whole step up from Db. You could also add an A, C, or F# to that chord.
rw852

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Thanks very much,i should attach a chord diagram :

How do you call this chord if G is root ? Gdim13,Gdim7(b13) ? i'm just having problem to write this on paper,thanks for your free lesson Very Happy

Ricky
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see - sorry, there are some chords that you'll never be able to label by using standard chord symbols. You could call it G dim(b13), but where's the Db? It;s not really a true diminished chord without it, and if someone reads that symbol on paper, they'll try to put it in there, and maybe that's not the sound you want. When I'm not sure how someone's going to interpret a chord symbol, I just write out the notes - much easier.
rw852

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool,never thought of that,many thanks ! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: