Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Phil deGruy - LA Concert
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Phil deGruy - LA Concert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusiontone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Phil deGruy - LA Concert Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I noticed that Phil deGruy will be performing in LA on September 19. What exactly makes Phil such a great player?
http://www.guitarp.com/
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you haven't heard him or you wouldn't need to ask that question. Phil is one of the most advanced guitarists alive. He has the ability to play bass lines, harmony, and melody all at the same time, which all solo guitarists can do, but what makes Phil so special is that he does it in a more modern and interesting way than anyone else, in my opinion. His playing is pure genius and I think he's the successor to Ted Greene as the world's finest solo guitarist. He also plays a special guitar with high-tuned harp style strings, which gives him more sounds to work with. There are other solo guitarists who might do the traditional Joe Pass style of solo guitar better than Phil does - that's not really his thing. I like to think of Phil as a one man orchestra - and he doesn't limit his repertoire to jazz standards, which I find refreshing.

Everyone I've played Phil's records for, or taken to one of his shows, was astounded by what they heard. There is no guitarist on Earth with a more advanced harmonic concept and contrapuntal abilities than Phil.
pedrobellora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
thanks for letting us know about Phil deGruy! I didn't know him and I'm listening right now to some of his music on youTube. I'll try to find one of his records, as it's always great to hear a new voice in this style of solo-guitar players.

Anyway: thanks again, and hope all is well!
Best wishes,

- Pedro
ma36scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott - on a sorta-kinda related topic, I just finished reading "One Long Tune", the Lenny Breau biography. In the book it talks about how he did some workshops, and was nearly hired as an instructor, at MI right before he died in '84. Did you have any sort of interactions (musical or otherwise) with him during this time? This post about Phil deGruy just made me think about that.

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a related topic because Phil has obviously drawn inspiration from Lenny, and has a lot of stories about him. I was teaching at GIT in '84, but I never heard any discussion about hiring Lenny - that would've been amazing. He was a brilliant guitarist, and though I never met him, I've heard from many people that he was always happy to share his knowledge of the guitar.
sieuminh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, then I wonder if you like Sylvain Luc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5bz8qhh0qU
sieuminh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, then I wonder if you like Sylvain Luc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5bz8qhh0qU
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only hearing one tune here so I can't judge from only this. He's obviously a monster player with amazing chops, but more traditional in a harmonic way than Philip DeGruy. The chops thing doesn't do much for me to be honest - the faster the notes, the more bored I get. I'm more interested in harmonic creativity, and for me there are only a handful of solo guitarists who really push the envelope. Ted Greene was one of them, and certainly Phil. Joe Diorio's solo guitar work was breathtaking. Charlie Hunter is amazing - he has a very deep sense of harmony, as did Lenny Breau. And let me add that I can't compare myself to any of these guys, because it's not what I do. However it's what I like to listen to, and I definitely have my favorite players in this style. I have a lot of modern harmony in my head for composing, but I don't have instant access to it on the guitar like these guys do. My least favorites among solo guitarists are the traditional jazz guys who are playing the harmony of their tunes in a more literal way. I've heard these guys a lot and though I deeply respect their abilities, it's not what moves me. That's why I love Weather Report so much - because they made harmony into a mysterious and otherworldly thing, and often got completely away from traditional harmony. Phil does that on the guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: