Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - demos
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

demos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: demos Reply with quote

Hey Scott

When you write a tune do you make a demo of the whole thing before you bring it to the band?
I know you write with a computer setup so you can listen back to what you write.
But do you also lay down a guitar track and a solo etc? And experiment with specific bass lines and form ideas?

The reason I ask is because I have been writing and I have a hard time knowing if something is going to musically work unless I hear a "rough Draft" first.

Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write with midi bass & drums, and audio guitar from a Korg Pandora - I hate to use the name Korg since they treat their artists like shit, but that's what I use. When the tune is finished, it's already a demo. All I have to do is bounce it to mp3 and mail it to the guys. The computer writes the bass chart, which I also send to the drummer. I tell the guys that obviously it's just a demo, so don't take it too literally. Anything they add to their parts is an improvement 99% of the time. Some of the bass lines need to be played as written, but anytime there's stuff that can be improvised, I notate those places on the chart.

I don't go out of my way to make my demos sound good. I add a cymbal crash here or there just to let them know where the major accents are. I use copy and paste a lot to save time - when they see the same lines repeating over and over, it's a given that those are the places they can improvise.
dizzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott
That makes allot of sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: