Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Deepening wet dry sys a bit more
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Deepening wet dry sys a bit more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Deepening wet dry sys a bit more Reply with quote

Ciao Scott.
Great to kenow that the new album will come out shortly!
And good to know it will sport Travis Carlton, one of my preferred bass players around. It's a matter of family affection, as I've seen after Trevis' father playing style for such a lon long time.
Happy to see that Travis deserves standalone respect and has built up his own musical reputation
Can't wait listening to your band's CD

I would like to draw your attention back to the the wet / dry thing and go through that just a bit more, as it is something which heavily affects my life.
I have an old plexi replica handwired in the US (Germino Club 40) that I love. It changed my life, bringing me back to life wearing an electric guitar! Being trusty close to the original (but is sounds much, much better...!) taht amp has no effects loop, therefore one have no choice than using a wet dry approach building up his rig.

I collected a line out box (as the Suhr isoline out box seems being discontinued, and those which are still around may cost up to $ 200, I got a DIY replica), a decent FX unit (an old-honest Alesis Quadraverb), a 2x12 combo (my Fender The Twin is a temporary solution - it's too heavy for a stable use) and the game began.

First impression: beyond all the good things happening on the dry side, where the amp sings at its best, the sound from the line out box (caught from the amp / cab signal) actually requires to be adjusted lowering the highs.
Seeing after a smart solution to that, I decided to throw the signal coming out from the FX unit straight into the Twin's power amp. Not enough, still too harshy.
Therefore I tried to put a mixer between the line out box and the FX. This way things are going to sound much, much better!
But they become less comfortable as well (need to carry a mixer, an FX unit and an amp in addition to the basic old rig)

Did you, Scott, face the same issues with those overwhelmig highs? I read you are using you Fender combo as the wet sound source. Do you throw the FX line out straight into the power amp as well, or you hook it up front amp?
Any thoughs / support from your side on how to reduce highs, as it seems this is a common need with the signal coming out from the line out box?

Many many thanks in advance for your good advices and support.

Cheers
Fabio

Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Suhr line box is discontinued because my friend just bought one. This is the best line box you can get.

Yes, the line out signal converted from a speaker signal is very bright and harsh. Plugging into an amp's FX return only gives you the presence knob, which isn't enough to tame the highs. The Suhr box has a volume knob, so you can turn it down low enough to run it into the front of the wet amp, giving you a lot more control of the EQ. I set mine between 3 and 4, and it works great into my Hot Rod Deluxe with no distortion or muddiness.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott.
Probably having not seen the Iso Box in the products list at Suhr website, I figured out it should be discontinued.

But you're right, there's plenty of on-line vendors out there still offering it at $ 200 + or - (including Amazon... I didn't figure out they've expanded their biz in the pro music market... Wink.

As far as it seems (and you are confirming it) it's still the best available option, pretty expensive though.
Probably high cost is due to the transformer and the phase / ground lift add-ons.

My cheap DIY line out box does sport a vol pot, but the signal out of it is too bright and hashy... It seems a passive transformer changes a bit the sound character out of the box. No secondary choice, then. I need one

Thanks again
Take care

Fabio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: