Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Past Gear Questions
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Past Gear Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan_halen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Past Gear Questions Reply with quote

Hey Scott, I am a huge fan of your music and have been hooked since my college guitar teacher turned me on to you and I discovered Illicit. To me, you are one of the most balanced players there are in that your areas of tone, technique, vocabulary/theory, and musicality are all so strong, not to mention your compositional ability. Anyway, I really like those clean chorus things you used to do back than on tunes such as "Black Cherry" and the live version of "Caribbean" below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzpAsq2c6ag

Did you use those tri-stereo chorus units like a lot of LA players like Michael Landau and Steve Lukather (two of my other favorites) used to use? I believe Landau used the Songbird one and Luke used the Dytronics one. Also those types of tones sounded very single coil, even if not vintage strat sounding. I know you used a lot of humbuckers back then. Did you have a coil split on them.

Speaking of Steve Lukather, what do you think of his playing? You mention Landau a lot but I haven't ever heard you mention Luke, so I was curious what you thought of him, since his style is closely related to Landau's though they both definitely have their own sounds.

Anyhow, keep up your great music and I will keep listening!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words - I used the ADA Stereo Tapped Delay STD-1

http://tonemerchants.com/products/vintage_used/ada-stereo-tapped-delay-std-1/

I'll need to say this again - stereo rigs are dumb. Only the people sitting in the very middle of the audience hear what you hear. Why no one knew that in the 80's is still a mystery.

I used humbuckers back then, but on Dog Party I re-discovered single coils and never went back.

I like Steve's playing, but he's more of a rock player. My favorite players (like Mike) are more rooted in the blues.
dan_halen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I love Luke's playing, and he is how I discovered Mike Landau (whose Tales From The Bulge Album is practically a university course on guitar tone). He is really into the vocal/guitar thing and I know he has blues and jazz chops as shown in some of his fusion collaborations with guys like Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Herbie Hancock, etc. I just wish he showed that side of his playing more, especially with his own solo records. But you can't argue with that vibrato though! Thanks again Scott!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: