Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - home recording
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

home recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: home recording Reply with quote

Hey Skeeter (just kidding)

How long have you been recording for albums at home?
On the earlier tribal tech albums did you have to nail takes of solos in the commercial studio? You got lots of great solos. It must some times have been stressful to have to cut solos while paying studio time and having the band wait around.

Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first home recording was on Reality Check, using ADAT's. That was in 1995 - since then it's been the Mac and Digital Performer.

I'm glad you like some of the old solos, but I don't. I was totally nervous, for exactly the reasons you said - money flying out the window while everyone is watching me fuck up. But at least we made some ballsy decisions back then.

I did a session a few years ago with Anthony Jackson, and he was telling me about Steely Dan sessions where Donald Fagen would record solos by great musicians like Michael Brecker and then say, "that was great, but let's try another one", and then just erase the one that was there. We're all pussies now compared to that.

On the up side, we get to use sophisticated tools which let us give our audience the best we have to give, so I'm happy to forget the old days.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Anthony Jackson.. how was it working with him? IMHO he is the GOAT, and thank goodness for Steve Khan who had the balls to give him the freedom that resulted in probably one of the more unique ensembles in 'fusion'... Anyway was wondering how it was working with him

and also has the result of that session been released?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony was great to work with - super nice person. Not to mention that his bass playing is ridiculously good as everyone knows. He played first takes that everyone thought were great, and then he'd say "I can do it better". We all felt nervous to see him roll over such great takes, but he was right - he did it even better every time! Fantastic musician!

The record is Rob Whitlock "Sketchin".
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS-xDsic84Q

Have to love a guy this intense about his craft. The last line he say reminds me of Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive.. I don't bargain lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: