Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Distortion Pedal for legato playing
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Distortion Pedal for legato playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarplayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Distortion Pedal for legato playing Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
Which of your distortion pedals is best for legato playing with the bridge position pickup in your opinion? The SD9, Plimsoul or klon? I am looking for a pedal that feels good under my fingers, but also sounds great with a Hot Rod Deville. I have found that some pedals feel "glitchy" under the fingers at gig volume and seem to make my chops feel worse than they actually are. Do you have any thoughts on this? Btw, I use vintage output style humbuckers.
As always, thank you for your generous time. Vibe Station rules.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those pedals sound good but the SD-9 is by far the best for legato because it has more compression than the other two. It's also the best pedal for switching between the neck & treble pickup. I've tried a lot of distortion pedals in the last 15 years and the Maxon SD-9 is still on my board.

Also, check out a Snark "super tight" headstock tuner. It adds mass to the headstock and makes notes pop out easier - great for legato playing. I don't use it when I record because the guitar doesn't sustain quite as well with it attached, but on stage I never have a problem with sustain since the guitar is reacting with the cabinet.
guitarplayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. That is really helpful. Time to get an SD9. Now I have to figure out how to get the Hot Rod Deville to be a little crunchy so the SD9 can do what it does.
Thanks so much!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Suhr molded the clean channel of my HRD to be more crunchy - he says it's easy to do.
Sandro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scott Henderson"]John Suhr molded the clean channel of my HRD to be more crunchy - he says it's easy to do.[/quote]

Hi Scott,

Easy to do? I would love to do it my self, I wonder if John would share how to do it with us/me.

Sandro
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he meant was that any qualified amp tech could do it - he'd be mad at me if a bunch of guys started calling him asking him how to do it. Smile

I was there when he did it and it took him about ten minutes.
Sandro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scott Henderson"]I think what he meant was that any qualified amp tech could do it - he'd be mad at me if a bunch of guys started calling him asking him how to do it. Smile

I was there when he did it and it took him about ten minutes.[/quote]

Thank you Scott I totally understand.

Sandro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: