Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - 2x12 idea and input...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

2x12 idea and input...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: 2x12 idea and input... Reply with quote

Okay so I'm looking at getting a 2x12 cabinet. I already have a 4x12 so this thread will be completely focused on the 2x12 idea. Avatar has an option which they call the G212 Pro Tour Monitor. Basically it looks like a typical stage monitor but is optimized for guitar tones. I'm wondering what you would think about such an idea? Obviously the tone would be very different from a typical 2x12 cabinet and also very different from a 4x12 obviously. But, like I said before the 2x12 option is really the only option at this point. Scott, if you would, could you give your thoughts on 2x12's and particularly which speaker combo you would use? Foes the Tour Monitor idea sound interesting? I know you like the Heritage speakers and Greenbacks both of which Avatar offer. I know you prefer the open back option so my guess is that's a given. I'm also trying to keep the price down as much as possible. I DO have a nice hand wired plexi 50 watt amp so I'm leaning towards a Heritage 65 and V-Type speaker? Some of these speakers gave "M" or "H" and 65 of 75 numbers after them so if you could please be as specific with model type and number that would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks so much...

Chris

PS. I know a lot of "tone" is subjective but IMOP (and I don't think I'm alone here) you have some of the best tones I've ever heard. You've carved out your own niche in the tone world and that's not an easy thing to do.

Last but not least, the 2x12 cabinet we are talking about could very well be used with a drummer at some point but not at obnoxiously loud levels...

Any help would be soooooo much appreciated...

All the best!!!

Chris[/list]
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the monitor style cab you're talking about, but if it goes in front of you, it's a bad idea. It's going to make your pickups feed back like crazy if you play loud. My choice for a 2x12 cab would be the square one made by Kerry Wright. It's like a mini 4x12, only there's a speaker on the top left and bottom right. I personally like the Heritage 65's better than the V-type, but they both sound good. It might be cool to try a V type on the bottom (because it's more scooped and has more bass), and a 65 on top for the smooth midrange. If you can't afford a Kerry cab, Suhr makes a really nice traditional 2x12 with one speaker directly on top of the other like normal. I would definitely suggest open back cabs for stage, even though I like closed back cabinets more for recording.
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott, thanks so much for the quick reply. The diagonal idea sounds interesting and what would you think of both speakers being the greenback variety? There seem to be so many different "Greenback" speakers these days and j want to make sure I get the best ones if I decided to go that route. Again, cost being somewhat a factor...

Thanks again,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65's are the closest speaker in sound to the Greenbacks, but can handle the volume in a 2x12. Two Greenbacks are OK if you're playing a 40 watt amp like a Deluxe, but even a 50 watt Marshall could blow them, because it's louder than it's rated.

I tried the Creambacks, which can also handle the volume and are supposed to sound like Greenbacks, but personally I like the 65's more - I think they're much fatter sounding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: