Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Humbucker and wiring question...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Humbucker and wiring question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Humbucker and wiring question... Reply with quote

Hey Scott:

So I've got a guitar that's a Les Paul style and I want to replace the pickups. It's actually Shawn Lanes Ibanez. Not the Ghostrider version, THE actual Ibanez guitar that Mace Bailey made for him. It's got a mini toggle switch for each pickup so I can wire it a couple different ways but I'd like your opinion (and others too please) so I can have a guitar with the most useable tones. For instance, I suppose one option could be a coil split but the other could be series/parallel or out-of-phase?

The guitar is in pretty darn good condition although I wish the frets were a little taller.

I read that you like SSV pickups but actually prefer the 59 in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. Are those still your choices? I play a variety of styles but not the extreme metal ones.

I have an 50 watt plexi head type amp so I'll get my overdrive from pedals.

Thanks so much.
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried series/parallel or out-of-phase - the only thing I've tried with humbuckers is the usual split, which I've always done with a push/pull switch on one of the tone pots. A split humbucker will never sound as fat as a single coil, but it doesn't sound bad at all.

My favorite humbucker for a strat is Suhr's new Thornbucker. It sounds amazing, much better than the SSV in my opinion. I still like the Seymour '59 and Jazz on my Gibson guitars, because they have more midrange, and that's kinda what the Gibson sound is about. I don't want a Fender/Gibson hybrid. When I'm layering it's important to have guitars that sound different from each other.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! The Shawn guitar actually DOES have a push-pull tone knob so there are TONS of options available!

The Thornbucker looks cool as well. I can't remember if you've commented on the SD JB pickup? SD sells the "Hot Rod" set which is a Jazz neck and JB bridge. They also sell the set as an "Antiquity" which supposedly softens the top end. There's also a JB/59 set too.

With so many pickups to choose from its a daunting task to try and choose. "Option Anxiety" for sure.

Have you played/heard the Doug Aldrich pickup?

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the JB - it's too overwound for me. I've never heard the Doug Aldrich pickup. You're right, there are so many to choose from, and I'm pretty tired of swapping pickups after trying dozens of them. Unless I hear about a new one from from a 100% reliable source like John Suhr, I'm done with trying pickups.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your input Scott.

The comparison chart on the SD website, lists the JB and 59 bridge pups using Alnico 5 magnets. The JB has twice the amount of DC resistance (for what that's worth) than the 59. The JB is listed as having slightly less bass, more miss and similar treble to the 59. DC Resistance (they say) gives a rough idea of the pickups output so your "overwound" comment certainly makes sense.

Would you mind commenting on what you don't care for in an "overwound" pickup? I've always associated "overwound" pickups to be more compressed with more signal hitting pedals or an amp. Possibly more sustain as well..?

I think I may go for a jazz in the neck but the bridge pickup may take some time. I have an old JB sitting around so I may use that. With all the mini switches in the guitar I need a 4 conductor pickup and the 59 is a 1, unless I for special order it.

Thanks again.
Chris

PS. I purposely added more info in this thread than really necessary for readers that would benefit.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An overwound pickup has more midrange and is "honkier" sounding, but what's worse, it has more output - it's too much for most pedals and adds fizziness to the sound. Some rock players may like that, but I'm going for a smoother tone with less hair on top. Even with low output pickups, I never turn my guitar to 10 because it overdrives the pedal too much and adds fizz - just turning down to 9 makes a huge difference and in my opinion the tone is more musical.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just call me a honkie? LOL!

Well, it's taken your advice for me to notice that "fizziness"! Like you have said, simply turning the volume down to 9 gets rid of that fizziness and it sounds much....stronger....for lack of a better word. Less brittle but the clarity is still there.

It's really amazing the difference pickups make in a guitar. My tone is MUCH better thanks to your advice and input.

Thanks so much.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: