Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Jazz boxes
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jazz boxes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
criminel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Jazz boxes Reply with quote

Hi,
What's your take on hollowbody guitars?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more about the guy playing it than the guitar itself. A lot of hollow body jazz guitarists get a tone which sounds too dark and muddy for me. But some, like Bruce Forman, get a beautiful tone and I can hear every note clearly, even low chord voicings. I like the tone I got on Chelsea Bridge on my Vibe Station CD - I borrowed a hollow body from Bruce to record that, and now I want one!

I'm not so much into the 335 because it's difficult to play it and not sound like Scofield, though there are a few guys who've managed to find their own voice with it.

Steve Howe got some amazing tones from a hollow body on the Yes albums - so it can be a great guitar in a rock context too, though the other side of that would be Ted Nugent, who has the worst tone ever. People who can't play usually can't tell the difference between good tone and bad.
criminel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it was one of Bruce's L5's? If so, did you use the heavy gauge or did you change the strings to play it?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Sontag, which is made in Germany. I'm probably going to buy one because it was very easy to play and I love the sound of the single coil pickup. I think it fits my style better - it has a funkier tone than most of the hollow body guitars I've heard which use humbucking pickups. I didn't change the strings - it had a standard .12 set, but the action was low so it wasn't hard to play at all. Bending strings was a bit difficult though, but it was fun to dig in and play a few rock n' roll licks on a hollow body.
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
It's more about the guy playing it than the guitar itself. A lot of hollow body jazz guitarists get a tone which sounds too dark and muddy for me. But some, like Bruce Forman, get a beautiful tone and I can hear every note clearly, even low chord voicings. I like the tone I got on Chelsea Bridge on my Vibe Station CD - I borrowed a hollow body from Bruce to record that, and now I want one!

I'm not so much into the 335 because it's difficult to play it and not sound like Scofield, though there are a few guys who've managed to find their own voice with it.

Steve Howe got some amazing tones from a hollow body on the Yes albums - so it can be a great guitar in a rock context too, though the other side of that would be Ted Nugent, who has the worst tone ever. People who can't play usually can't tell the difference between good tone and bad.

Do you mean to tell me that the man who composed and played masterpieces like Cat Scratch Fever, Wango Tango, and Wang Dang Sweet Poontang can't play?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I mean to tell you. But just because he can't play, it doesn't mean he isn't a piece of shit.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Nugent is no peace of shit, he shoots his own dinner! Unfortunately not dressed up like Tarzan anymore. Smile

Scott, though not rocking on jazzboxes, Alex Lifeson is my all time rock favorite. Even after 30+ years i still can sit down and listen to a 40 year old Rush album i heard countless times before and totally enjoy it.

Though, here in the Netherlands most 'sessionplayers' are not too rockminded so in 25+ years of gigging i hardly ever got to talk to any of my dear playmates about Lifeson because no one even knows the guy. On your side of the Atlantic Lifeson is regarded a top player amongst -older- rockfans, how is he regarded as -if at all- amongst 'proplayers'?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an age thing - if you're old enough to be a fan of Rush, The Police, etc, then of course you like the guitar player even if he isn't considered a "player's player" like Jeff Beck or Jimi Hendrix. I'm a huge Jimmy Page fan, but most people don't see him as a monster improvisor - he's more known for his amazing studio chops and great writing.

I don't know what younger pro players think - most of the younger musicians I hang with are students who don't know who Jeff Beck is, so it's doubtful they know Alex Lifeson.

And I don't care if Ted shoots his own food, but he might wanna ease up on the child molesting, racial bigotry, and general ignorance which makes him worthy of being eaten by lions. Add his music to all that and you've got a total waste of oxygen.
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Yes, that's what I mean to tell you. But just because he can't play, it doesn't mean he isn't a piece of shit.

I was being sarcastic. Nugent is a piece of shit.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i guess Lifeson is not considered a players player. In a way i find that strange but i can understand it as well.

I never knew Nugent is a racist ignorant child molester, i always thought he 'played' the madmen getting gigs that way. In the Netherlands Ted Nugent is pretty much non existing in any media, so we don't hear any of him. Let's make him shoot his own feet, and then feed him to the lions.
criminel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

I don't know what younger pro players think - most of the younger musicians I hang with are students who don't know who Jeff Beck is.

I honestly don't know how can you study an instrument and not be aware of significant past players of your instrument of choice. I guess that shows why the world is falling apart.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to keep in mind that these young players were inspired to pick up a guitar by what they currently hear on the radio. If they keep playing and improving, I'm sure they'll eventually discover the greats of the past, especially if they have a teacher like me, because I'll make them listen.
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever heard the story about Ted Nugent and Shawn Lane??? It's pretty damn funny. I'll leave it at that and see if anyone adds to this thread and if not I'll tell the story as I heard it but I wasn't there so I don't have first-hand account...

I still miss Shawn... I was really hoping he would defeat his demons and poor health.

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any story which portrays Nugent as the asswipe he is will always be welcome on this forum.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the story as I remember it went something along the lines of Shawn being up onstage with Ted and they were "cuttin' heads". Ted would play something then Shawn would play, typical "call and response" thing. So then at some point Ted thought he would "blow" Shawn away... Ummmmmmm no..... Razz So after Ted did his thing (or tried to), Shawn did HIS thing which was probably that diminished or even augmented string skipping thing he does and basically Ted walked off stage or something similar. Shawn goes backstage to meet Ted and chat and basically Ted was like, "Blah....." and wouldn't talk to Shawn afterwards. It was probably CRAZY embarrassing for Ted!!!

Best,
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: