Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Amp Gain
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Amp Gain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarplayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Amp Gain Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
Since you are hitting the front end of the amp with a lot of output from the sd-9 or klon, is the majority of the overdrive preamp gain, or is the master volume up high enough to distort as well? In other words, Is it power amp gain, combined with preamp gain, combined with the pedal, or is the power amp staying clean?
It seems that it would be tough to get a 100 watt power amp to break up at the volume that your band plays. The tone is really fantastic and I am trying to get a handle on the way you do it!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like power amp distortion - it's fizzier than preamp distortion. I don't ever turn the amp up loud enough for the power amp to distort, only to get the power tubes working hard. Another reason is because I'm only using 4 speakers, not 8 - a 100 watt amp turned up loud enough for the power section to distort would fry the speakers.

I had a '68 Marshall plexi - I sold it because I could never turn it up loud enough to sound good. That amp needs to be turned up to at least 8 with two cabinets - that's way too loud for my gig or studio.
guitarplayer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!
It is great to know. I was under the impression that power amp distortion was the key, but it seems that a big, high headroom power amp running clean with a distorted front end gives the best results. A volume pedal in the loop seems like a must have to make this setup work with a band.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a volume control in the loop is the best way to change the master volume without changing the gain. I control the amount of gain with the guitar volume and sometimes going to a cleaner pedal. I love the new RC Booster because it has two stages of gain, so I don't have to mess with the guitar volume as much.
slyzspyz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe guitar players are misusing the term "power tube distortion"....
when the power tubes are running at their optimum it's the natural tube compression that we all like, as opposed to "distortion", right?
i.e. if you run a distorted tube preamp into a clean solid state power amp you most likely won't get the same feel & interaction
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct. Power amp distortion isn't a good thing - it sounds fizzy and the amp feels choked and hard to play. The compression from tubes working hard is what we like, and the distortion from the preamp. That's the whole point of pedals with a non-master volume amp, to distort the preamp without having to turn the amp up to 10 and make it sound blown up.
slyzspyz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Yes, that's correct. Power amp distortion isn't a good thing - it sounds fizzy and the amp feels choked and hard to play. The compression from tubes working hard is what we like, and the distortion from the preamp. That's the whole point of pedals with a non-master volume amp, to distort the preamp without having to turn the amp up to 10 and make it sound blown up.

thanks Scott, that does raise some interesting questions:

1) so if you had a low wattage amp non-MV amp like a Princeton for example that starts to compress at about 5-6, that hypothetically you could max out the volume to 10 (11!) and not blow your eardrums or speakers, would you still say the resulting distortion would be unpleasant as compared to if you had a boost/OD/dist before it and ran it at a lower volume?

and, from what I understand of your previous comments regarding your Suhr head vs your Hot Rod....
2) with a higher powered (say, 40w and above) non-MV amp you would personally use two pedals before it or is one enough?

finally, your preferred setup perhaps?
3) with a MV amp you like the amp with some crunch, or on the edge of breakup, at a tolerable volume, then push the preamp further into distortion via a pedal or two, letting the power tubes compress and smooth out the rough edges from the previous gain stages?

pedals all the way? any situation where you'd let the amp do all the work?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, I've never had any luck with turning an amp up to 10 - it usually starts sounding bad after 7 or 8 because the power amp starts to distort and sound fizzy.

2. That's something I don't like about the HRD - the clean channel has the best EQ, but it's too clean. My workaround is to put a volume control in the loop so I can turn the preamp up more and keep the power amp level down with the volume control. If I didn't do that, I'd have to combine two pedals to get enough gain.

3. Yes, that's my preferred setup. That's what my Suhr signature amp is - a MV crunch amp. I only need one pedal, and as long as I can get up to a medium volume, it sounds great. I have an OD-100 SE which has great high gain preamp distortion, so no need for a pedal, but I like pedals better for the neck pickup. If I used only the bridge pickup, I'd use the SE a lot more often. I mainly use it for recording, to change up my sound from time to time.
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, JUST when I thought I understood power amp vs. preamp distortion!!! Very Happy
I always thought preamp distortion was "fizzy"? I have a 50 watt hand wired plexi style amp that sounds just fantastic! It's clean up to about 5 of 6 volume wise unless I slam the front with a pedal and or Humbucker but if I crank the volume to between 8 and 10 I get a pretty warm overdrive not too far away from that warm Eric Clapton type "woman" tone.

From what I've read, Eddie Van Halen got his brown sound from a cranked plexi 12xxx series amp. I know Ed's tone has been sought after for years and I personally love some of those early Van Halen tones and I always thought that was POWER TUBE overdrive but maybe not huh?

Anyways, like Scott has always said "use your ears"! Personally, my current amp the Landau inspired Hot Rod amp is just CRAZY good!!! The clean channel with some chorus and/or delay is just crazy good!

Best,
Chris
Wiznik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
First, great video with Tim and Pete, it is agree with this forum,
but it's better to see you explaining it with your guitar...

I have some questions :

As your amp setting is : gain 7, MV 4 (depending of the room)
Your preamp tubes are well working, but not your power?
I thought the MV has to be at 5/6 to make the power tubes having good compression.

My amp (a Marshall JTM 60) has gain + vol for the lead channel,
And a MV.

To take the most of it i tried to put the MV at 7 and lowed the volume with the SVC in the serie loop section.
But it doesn't work very well.
And the SVC changes the gain the same way the channel vol does.

That's why i think i misunderstood something.

Thanks, Nicolas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: