Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - 'Worlds Waiting'
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

'Worlds Waiting'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: 'Worlds Waiting' Reply with quote

Hi Scott

I'm writing about the brilliant live version of 'Worlds Waiting' (below). Was your long solo guitar prelude always totally improvised when you played the tune? I think I know the answer but I ask because the amazing intro to this seems like its own complete little composition, very different to the recorded version. I put it up there with Keith Jarrett's great opening to 'Stella By Starlight' on the 'Standards Live' record which I'm sure you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzXeVVii8U

Cheers for the brilliant music,

Matt
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt, I was just improvising and it was different every night, but I had a similar intro to Jakarta on my Live album - it started out by improvising, but over time it morphed into a mini-composition which was almost the same every night.

There are always "better than we really are" moments which happen when we improvise, and it's tempting to learn them and repeat them nightly - the up side is a more consistently good show, but the down side is the gig starts to feel over thought out and preconceived.

Even when playing written parts, I try to improvise as much as possible and play things a bit differently every night, otherwise I get the feeling that the other guys in the band want to kill me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: