Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Slick from Thick
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Slick from Thick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Slick from Thick Reply with quote

Hey Scott...
I very much dig this tune...structure, tempo, tone, and phrasing. Can you share some details about gear and inspiration. I love the energy in this tune! Do I hear a vibe coming from Jeff Beck's, Space Boogie in there?

Thanks so much...and I'll add my belated "Awesome!" for Vibe Station!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't remember much about it since it was recorded almost 20 years ago. Willis wrote that tune, so I have no idea what the composition process was. I used my OD-100 on that tune with amp distortion -no pedals. The cabinet was a 4x12 with Greenbacks.
jbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the response Scott. If you remember...was that a single coil Strat? I'm just curious as it has a smoother, less percussive sound...SD 59-ish. The distortion is pretty spectacular and musical to me.
Biology teacher...I'm just a naturally curious person.
I have this guitar club here at school (I've mentioned that before...I think). Kids are digging your music...they wanted me to tell you that. They think it's the coolest thing that you are a "real musician" and you answer questions on this forum. Of course...I have to be selective about what they read...cuz...they're 12 and 13.
Thanks!
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Scott will respond but I gotta say you sound like an awesome teacher!
jbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much...means a lot to hear that. I do love what I do...that helps!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jbear, and thanks for playing my music for the younger generation! You have good ears - that pickup is a Seymour Duncan '59, but a custom shop version with screws on both sides, instead of screws on one side and pole pieces on the other. It has less bass than a normal '59, but sounds much smoother. It was Allan Holdsworth's favorite pickup for a long time - he told me about it, and I think he helped them design it.

Also back in those days I was using 250k pots on my guitars. I still use them for my single coil guitars, but my SSH guitar is wired to switch the pot to 500k for the humbucker. A 250k pot with a humbucker filters out both treble and bass, making the tone even smoother, but thin. This is why I say my tone was much thinner back in the Tribal Tech days, however it seemed to fit that style of music we were playing.
jbear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure for sure!
I have a set of those double-screw 59's in a Double Fat Strat...I love them!
There's a sound that you get when you hit more than one string the right way (distorted) that sounds so organic to me...it's like a "roar." Hard to explain but maybe someone knows what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: