Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Vibe Station Tone
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Vibe Station Tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Vibe Station Tone Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Just got the Vibe Station, one of your best album!
I wonder what pedals did you use during "The Covered Head" drum solos and at the end of that song.

You said you dont combine pedals but when you have more gain tone do you use the Xotic and the Sonic together and sometimes step on the Factory?

Wonder would you prefer the Bella over the Badger?

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pedal on The Covered Head is a Trombetta RotoBone. When you pick normal it sounds like a distortion pedal, but harder picking brings out a ring modulator type sound. I used it on the bridge pickup, but on the neck pickup it can sound like a trombone, hence the name.

I never combine pedals - I usually use a boost, but if I want more gain I turn off the boost and turn on a high gain pedal.

I like the Bella more than the Badger because it's more like a Fender. The Bella is a Class A/B amp - the Badger is Class A. Class A amps are more sparkly and great for blues, but not so great for high gain, because that sparkle turns into fizz as you add more distortion.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought when you were using the deluxe with the Clark/Berlin Trio, you used the RC into the Maxon?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a special circumstance because the Deluxe doesn't have enough gain on the clean channel. I hardly ever use that amp - it's normally the wet amp in my regular setup.

I'm actually looking for a good Fender for very soft gigs - the Deluxe was too loud for my tour with Jeff & Mike, and most of the small gigs I play are jazz gigs with acoustic bass. With a pedal added, both the Deluxe and the Bella are too loud.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott

You should check out a dr z zlux. I bought one.
It has a good master volume and a half power switch.
I think they have an fx loop option.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, it's doesn't say if it's class A or A/B, but judging from the lack of a presence knob, I'd guess A. That doesn't work for me in a live situation. I'm pretty sure that all Dr. Z amps are class A but I could be wrong.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his el84 amps are class A but his other ones aren't. But I could be wrong. I got it to sound pretty close to my 70s deluxe reverb.
One cool thing about it is that you can put it in boost mode where it is dirtier with more mids and then make it quiet with the master.
Really I want you to get one because then you would find the best settings and I would copy them:)
If you try one make sure to start with all the tone knobs at 9 o'clock. That is what I found after much frustration.
And if you like it you have to tell me your settings👍
countandduke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
That was a special circumstance because the Deluxe doesn't have enough gain on the clean channel. I hardly ever use that amp - it's normally the wet amp in my regular setup.

I'm actually looking for a good Fender for very soft gigs - the Deluxe was too loud for my tour with Jeff & Mike, and most of the small gigs I play are jazz gigs with acoustic bass. With a pedal added, both the Deluxe and the Bella are too loud.

Sounds JUST like the beginning of every "signature amp series"!!! FENDER, are you listening?!

Maybe John Suhr could build you something? Hold on a sec, I'm gonna make s quick thread...

Best,
Chris
Mojolang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, Scott, you said in guitar wank when you were using this "special" setup, that some people said that your tone sounded awesome? I think it sounds pretty damn good on the Iridium clip...

Looks like this thing might be up your alley

https://www.google.com/search?q=Laney+VC15-110+review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: