Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Calling all amp builders!!! Scott needs an amp...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Calling all amp builders!!! Scott needs an amp...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Calling all amp builders!!! Scott needs an amp... Reply with quote

I've started this thread so we can put out the word that our man Scott Henderson has a need for an amp for "quieter" gigs. If I knew enough about building amps I'd make one myself based on what Scott needs in an amp. My guess is it needs to be a combo... 6L6 or 5881 tubes, low wattage, light weight, open back...

Scott, what else would you be looking for? I think amp builders out there would jump at the chance to either build something for you or turn you on to something already in their product line. I personally heard Allan Holdsworth missed his old Roland VG-8 system, so I made arrangements to send him mine, no money exchanged. Allan actually called and thanked me for doing so and was indeed able to use it for a while. My claim to fame...

Best,
Chris
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazam!

http://friedmanamplification.com/products/heads/dirty-shirley-head/
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also highly recommend the Mesa Rectoverb 25. It's the only non-Vox EL-84 amp I've liked in recent years. 25 watts switchable to 10, two channels, great pedal-friendly cleans, and an od channel that can get into Marshall territory if you need to go there. Comes in both head and combo configurations.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread - just a few things....

40 watts is way too loud - at the volume I'm playing, the tubes would be barely warm. The HRD and Bella are 40 watts, and at 2 they drown out the band. I'm playing acoustic jazz, and often the bass player doesn't even use an amp. Drummer with brushes or extremely soft - you get the idea. And I'm trying to get my tone at that volume - so I was thinking Fender Blues Jr. or something like it. No class A amps allowed, and it has to have an FX loop and master volume. Has to be able to do crunch, not just clean like an HRD. Well, the HRD does have a crunch channel, but it sucks.

I've never liked Boogie amps, but I've never tried the one mentioned above - it seems to be the right wattage.

BTW I wouldn't ask John to make an amp like this because the majority of his clients would have no need for it.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first thought that came to mind is a THD Bivalve which can come in s head OR a combo version, but the combo is kinda weird looking. Scott, do you, or would you prefer any tubes over another? My guess is that you're almost wanting a one power tube amp which is why I thought of the BI-Valve. I know the Bi-valve has an effects loop but from what their rep Ed told me (REALLY nice guy btw) it's not a "typical" effects loop.

Best,
Chris
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first thought that came to mind is a THD Bivalve which can come in s head OR a combo version, but the combo is kinda weird looking. Scott, do you, or would you prefer any tubes over another? My guess is that you're almost wanting a one power tube amp which is why I thought of the BI-Valve. I know the Bi-valve has an effects loop but from what their rep Ed told me (REALLY nice guy btw) it's not a "typical" effects loop.

Best,
Chris
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

40 watts is way too loud - at the volume I'm playing, the tubes would be barely warm. The HRD and Bella are 40 watts, and at 2 they drown out the band. I'm playing acoustic jazz, and often the bass player doesn't even use an amp. Drummer with brushes or extremely soft - you get the idea. And I'm trying to get my tone at that volume - so I was thinking Fender Blues Jr. or something like it. No class A amps allowed, and it has to have an FX loop and master volume. Has to be able to do crunch, not just clean like an HRD. Well, the HRD does have a crunch channel, but it sucks.

I've never liked Boogie amps, but I've never tried the one mentioned above - http://www.bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.htmlit seems to be the right wattage.

BTW I wouldn't ask John to make an amp like this because the majority of his clients would have no need for it.

With the exception of the Recotverb 25 and the Lonestar Classic, I've never really liked Boogies either. If you try the Recoverb, I'd recommend studying the manual first, as the tone controls take some getting used to (though they're a lot easier to use than the ones on the Mark series). My favorite setting is the Pushed voicing on the clean channel. its great for going from a semi-dirty tone to a lead tone with a boost. You can also crank the treble to dump in more gain.

Here's something else you might want to look into:

http://www.bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html

It's a bit unconventional, but it can fit on your pedalboard, and it can go from 100 watts all the way down to 1 watt (I think you need the additional footswitch to do that). Might be a good backup for your larger rig as well.
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I posted the wrong version of the Dirty Shirley. Here's the 20 watt version:

http://friedmanamplification.com/products/heads/mini-dirty-shirley-head/
PatrickHealy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott, have you considered the Egnater Tweaker 15? I recently picked one up used and it's served me quite well. Portable low wattage tube tone with, well, lots of room for tweaking. Effects loop and master volume. Inexpensive, also.

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/TweakerHead/TweakerHead.html
spellbound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into the Rectoverb recently, it looks like everything I want.
The wattage is right, effects loop, good clean sounds, hi gain when needed.

I would love a Red Plate Blackline combo. Allen Hinds speaks very highly of them. Just not sure I can justify more than double the RectoVerb price for my limited uses.
criminel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

I'm playing acoustic jazz, and often the bass player doesn't even use an amp. Drummer with brushes or extremely soft - you get the idea. And I'm trying to get my tone at that volume -

Offtopic: any chance we could hear you on record playing this? (It's for a friend who lives a little far.. kind of... well... overseas)
guitarplayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little mesa recto-verb 25 is a nice sounding amp. I once saw David Grissom (great player, great tone) doing a clinic on one. He was boosting the crunch channel with an EP booster and another boost for high gain. It sounded fantastic at low volume. I was really impressed. It does not sound like the older boogies.
vidaest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister18 might be a good option.
Has switchable 18W/5W/1W output into a 10 or 12 inch speaker, closed back, with FX loop and DI Out:
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/tubemeister/tubemeister-18/tubemaster-18-twelve/

Also available as head only:
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/tubemeister/tubemeister-18/tubemaster-18-head/
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the Soldano Hot rod 25. Looks like a class A/B 25 Watt amp with effect loop.

http://www.soldano.com/products/guitar-amplifiers/hot-rod-25/

Freidman minis sounds better to me though but they are Class A

Last edited by Robert on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
trap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Scott, you've been hanging with Forman too much! Acoustic?Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: