Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Calling all amp builders!!! Scott needs an amp...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Calling all amp builders!!! Scott needs an amp...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dizzy, it's one of the reasons I do this message board. I don't like to see people waste their money on bad gear and I'm happy to warn them against inferior products like the Brake-Lite.

Just to be clear, this isn't a personal taste issue. I've heard enough gear that I like or don't like to know the difference between personal taste and just plain bad. The people at Dr. Z know there's no such thing as an attenuator which doesn't change the tone of an amp - I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a slight change in tone, and I could've lived with that. The truth is, it changed drastically and made a good amp sound like shit, so fuck them. I'll never buy another one of their products.

And the reason I'm giving it away instead of selling it is because I'd rather loose the money than sell a piece of shit and profit from it.
ItAllanLover

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What guitar are nyou using for your jazz gigs? Can you tell us something about the tunes that you play? Any chance to watch a video, please? Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Suhr - I don't play a hollow body. I use distortion too, just like I do on my trio gigs. The only difference is I'm playing softer and using my HRD instead of my SH-100 with a 4x12. The tunes are usually my favorite standards (mostly by Wayne Shorter), and tunes that most jazz musicians know like Actual Proof, Nothing Personal, etc, and some of them know a few WP tunes like Mysterious Traveler, Elegant People, Corner Pocket, Black Market, etc.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott:

Sorry about your bad luck with the Dr. Z product. Any chance on contacting them personally and seeing if they'll do a refund? I would think someone like you with your level of expertise would warrant some kind of response from them. IF I worked at that company, id be pretty embarrassed that "our" product didn't deliver as advertised! Give em a chance to "make it right"?

Best,

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though your suggestion looks good in print, I don't want to waste more time and develop a relationship with any company who would make such false advertising claims. I would've sent the unit back for a refund, but I scratched it with a screwdriver when installing it so I don't think they'd take it back - it's no big deal, I need tax write-offs. If nobody wants it, I'm kinda looking forward to wondering what useful product it'll be recycled into.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I get it. False claims blow, like padded bras! I wish I could help more... Please let us know what you find as a solution.

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the last gig with my HRD, I'm fine with just turning up the preamp and putting a volume control in the FX loop - seems to work really well. Most of my small gigs allow me to turn the amp up loud enough for the power tubes to do their thing, it's only on the really low volume gigs where the amp doesn't sound it's best, but in my opinion it still sounds better than a practice amp.
countandduke

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the last gig with my HRD, I'm fine with just turning up the preamp and putting a volume control in the FX loop - seems to work really well. Most of my small gigs allow me to turn the amp up loud enough for the power tubes to do their thing, it's only on the really low volume gigs where the amp doesn't sound it's best, but in my opinion it still sounds better than a practice amp.

Translation: A full pair of C tits in the hand are better than Double D's in the bush?

All kidding aside, can you tell us what kind of volume pedal is in the loop because those vary too...

Thanks Scott...

Chris
DolGun

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually rather useful to hear your take om attenuators, even though it's due to a messed up experience on your part Sad
I've thought about it for years, bit I hate my JCM 900 way too much to ever having spent money on anything like that.

For my taste getting the RC booster and SD9(though it's an older Ibanez version) some years back was spot on, I'm fairly certain I'll stick with not getting an attenuator for any amp ever after having read this.

If I wasn't in Denmark I'd be more than happy to pay for shipment. Even if that amp was phucked for your taste it prolly sound so much better in mine.

Cheers!

Last edited by DolGun on Fri May 27, 2016 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Wiznik

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
Marshall mades little amps like the Class 5 and the Mini Jubilee.
What is your opinion about them?

To hear your combo HDR during your gigs and staying standing, do you know the Deeflexx made by Hoovi in Austria? It is really expensive but it may be a good solution.
Sorry, i have to say i've never tried it.

Thanks, Nicolas
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an SVC volume control in the FX loop, with both my SH-100 and HRD. I hate traditional volume pedals - impossible to make small volume changes with them.

I've already given the Brake-Lite away - I put it on the table in the teachers lounge at MI and maybe one of the guys will want it. Attenuators suck - if you need to play softer, buy a smaller amp.

That being said, I've never heard the Class 5 and the Mini Jubilee, but if they sound anything like the 15 watt Fender Bassbreaker, that's too small. There's a point where a small amp sounds like a practice amp and doesn't fill up any air space - personally I won't go smaller than a Deluxe. The volume control in the FX loop does a good enough job of taming the volume if necessary.

I've seen and heard many reflective devices and don't take them seriously. If I ever hear someone use one and get good tone I'll officially change my mind.
daschwarjazz

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used pretty much every attenuator on the market, and the Fryette is the only one I've liked. There is another option you may want to consider. It's an attenuator, of sorts, but definitely not a traditional one:

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Reignmaker

Basically it's a speaker with a volume knob. It can't reduce a cranked amp down to bedroom levels, but it definitely knocks down enough decibels in a live situation for you to turn your amp up a bit more.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion but I love the Celestion Heritage 65 that I put in my HRD - made it sound much, much better.
Cody.carrig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Thought I'd make a couple thoughts, in case it could help.

Victory Amps produces an amp called the Sherriff which is a small plexi head and seems pretty nice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fFFcO3uyz4

As far as attenuators go, Pete Thorn talked in a video about the Fryette Power Station which seems really, really cool. It loads down the signal to line level then feeds it back into a tube power amp and it seems to sound great. Hope this helps!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGXRDfCF30

Cody
Anton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, new forum member here. A big, big Scott's fan from eastern Europe. Hope it's not too late to join this discussion!

Scott, I see guys mentioned Egnater amps here, but I'm not sure if you ever had a chance to try them. The thing is they might actually suit your needs. I'm talking Rebel model line, Rebel 20 in particular (http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Rebel/Rebel20/Rebel20Head.html), which is one channel, though you may also be interested in Rebel 30, which is two channel amp.

What you may find interesting are these features:
1. Variable wattage (1-20 watts).
2. Two different types of output tubes, which you can use separately OR blend/mix together (3 x 12AX7 Sovteks in the preamp, 2 x 6V6 and 2 x EL84 JJ power tubes).
This sucker is very lightweight and versatile, and VERY loud - which kind of fits your requirements (I think).

Just skip directly to 2:10 and listen to "Chicago's Keith Howland talks about Egnater": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id8VcaUjftY. He will demo it at 5:50. I hope you'll like it and will put on your list of amps to try Smile

From what I know of your preferences (and I probably may be wrong on this), you may actually like it! Hope you'll find this useful. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: