Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Advice on Amp/Pedal Settings
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Advice on Amp/Pedal Settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikoo69

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Advice on Amp/Pedal Settings Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I've learned a ton about tone from reading this forum and had some questions regarding my specific rig; perhaps you can answer these questions and provide some general guidelines that we can apply to any kind of amp (small open back combos, 2x12s, 4x12s, etc).

I use an original 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb, a Klon Centaur and a Strat.

How might you set the amp and pedal (I do have a midrange pot installed in the DR as well to be able to give the rig more mids if necessary)?

Do you recommend placing a 1x12 open back combo amp directly on the floor, or up on a roadcase/inside a case bottom?

Also, looking to also have the optimal settings to get feedback/sustain easily...I love when it feels like I am in a "sound bubble" where I can easily get feedback and sustain if I turn up my guitar's volume.

Currently, I set the DR on about 6, and with the Klon pushing it (Drive at 1 o'clock, Tone at 11 o'clock, Output Level between 1o'clock and all the way up).

At this setting, some FOH Engineers ask me to turn down, others are cool with it...not sure if a higher wattage amp would be better, even though I've read you mention that 30 watts would be too quiet to be heard over a loud drummer...my drummer is a pretty heavy hitter but the DR seems to have enough power to get it cooking and heard over the drummer, without being too loud for the sound guy.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd set the amp crunchy and let the Klon do the rest, which sounds like what you're doing. The problem I've had with using a 1x12 combo is that it looses all the bass when I set it up on something, and I don't hear it very well when it's on the floor and I'm standing up, so I sit on gigs where I use it - they're mostly lower volume jazz gigs anyway.

When I've tried to use the Deluxe on louder gigs standing up, I have to put a lot of guitar in the monitor and I hear that louder than the amp. I've never understood how guys can play in a loud situation with an amp down at their feet and be able to hear it... that's why I use a 4x12.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in here real quick because I've been the FOH guy AND the guy onstage and here's what I've found works the best. We guitar players tend to like the guitar fairly loud and there's nothing like a 4x12 blazing away but that can often overpower the mains especially in a smaller venue. Soooooooo, just turn the cab sideways. I am the cabinet at the drummer and sometimes even move the amp so it's hitting me AND the drummer. This way, I get the tone AND volume I want but the FOH guy can mic my speaker cabinet and make sure the audience hears a good mix.

I've judged a few "Battle of the Bands" over the last couple of years and I'm amazed at how little people know about amps, guitars, effects, tone, etc... I've often thought of trying to get a bunch of knowledgable musicians together and do a "seminar" but the problem is getting these "kids" to admit they don't know everything...

Oh well...
Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when using a 4x12 I put guitar in the monitor, and I'm usually able to EQ it to sound good. I want to hear myself a little louder to make sure the nuances of my tone are OK, but I don't want to kill people in the first row - thanks why I use an open back cab on stage. It's not as directional as a closed back and tends to spread the sound out more.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you really should take a look at this peace of plastic:

http://hoovi.at/carl-verheyen-–-deeflexx-endorsement-–-gitarre-bass-magazine/?lang=en <- click on the brits flag for english!

http://hoovi.at/deeflexx-2/products/?lang=en

It might make your desire for a 4x12 something of the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: