Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Fender sound
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Fender sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiznik

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Fender sound Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
I've followed the topics about an amp to small vol gig, and i noticed that you use Fender amp.
As i am a Marshall guy, i would like to know which setting you use with the Fender, cause it is not the same EQ from the Marshall, and so, not the same sound...
So i believe your don't have the sound.

Also, when you play with your setup (i mean with your SH-100) with another guitar player who uses a Fender. Which setting would you believe is good for the two guitars to have geat tones for the audience ?
Nicolas
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender amps sound different than Marshall's, but settings vary between the same brands. I have an SH-100, which is basically a plexi clone, a '71 Marshall, and when I rent an amp on the road I use a DSL 2000. To get the same tone from those three amps, I have to set them like this:

SH-100 presence 6 bass 2 middle 5 treble 4 volume 4 gain 7
'71 presence 6 bass 2 middle 3 treble 4 volume 6 gain 6
DSL presence 5 bass 2 middle 5 treble 1 volume 6 gain 10

The only consistent setting between the three amps is the bass. The settings for my Fender HRD can't be shown in numbers because the knobs go from 1 to 12 instead of 0 to 10, but they're closest to the '71 Marshall. Even though I can set both a Fender and Marshall amp to have the same exact balance of bass, treble and midrange, the color of the two amps is different, because the frequencies of each band are voiced in a different place.

So, I can't answer with any accuracy about amp settings, since they're usually a bit different on every amp.
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These settings would also reflect the cabinet being a 4x12 with Greenback speakers too right?

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge difference between a 4x12 cab and a combo. I like the combination of the two, which is the cabinet I use live - there's a picture of it on the gear page of my site. Kerry Wright built it, but it was Mike Landau's idea - it spreads out the sound and isn't as directional as a closed back 4x12, but it has that big sound which you can only get from a 4x12 (in my opinion).

The main difference people hear between a Fender and a Marshall isn't the amp itself, but the difference between a closed back 4x12 and an open back combo - two completely different sounds.
Wiznik

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your answer.
Yes, my worry is about the difference of color.
A friend lends me a Fender amp, but i didn't succeed to attuning this color to my pedals and to my playing yet.
Things i wanted to mean is that as the sounds are really different, when you play only with your Fender amp, do you have to adapt your playing and your effets?
And do you play the same songs?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm able to EQ the Fender to have close enough to the same tone and amount of gain as the Marshall, so I don't have to play different music, and I'm used to the open back sound because the 4x12 I use with my SH-100 is also open back. However I only use my Fender for low volume gigs - it's just 40 watts and I'm used to 100. I have to sit down when I play, otherwise I can't hear it well enough or get good feedback from it because the pickups are too far away from the amp. There are Fender combos which are much louder than my HRD, but they're still low to the ground and that causes problems for me. I'm a Marshall guy too.
Wiznik

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Scott!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: