Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Amp tip
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Amp tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yusstyna

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Amp tip Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I've been playing the Suhr Badger 30 for years now and I find it too bright, stiff and twangy sounding, especially with a tele which is my main guitar. I'm wondering if have tried an amp in the same wattage range that does a good plexi sound?

I'm wondering if the Badger 35 might be a good alternative?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

All the best,
W.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in here really quick and say that the Badger series are EL-84 amps I'm almost positive. A true "plexi" is an EL-34 amp and I believe the "class" is different too. The nature of a tele IS bright and "twangy" and the same can be said of 84 tubes. Very Happy Hopefully others will chime in here and I'm interested to hear what Scott will say but I know he does like the OLDER Marshall DSL series amps and that might be a great place to start for that "plexi" crunch, OR an actual hand wired "plexi" amp.

Good luck.

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting another Badger won't help - it's a class A amp and it's great for blues but not much else. If you want big fat notes, get a Marshall or a Fender. Suhr makes a 50 watt OD-100 that sounds like a great Marshall, and also a Bella which sounds like a great Fender, but the Bella has no master volume. I like master volume amps because they're more flexible on stage.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, LOVED my OD-100. One of the best amps I've EVER played and I've played LOTS of different amps. The OD amps are IMOP a GLORIOUS combination of great "Fender" cleans on Channel 1 and the best sounding "plexi" style crunch/overdrive on channel 2. The Whomp switch is great, great sounding effects loop and simple controls. Not a ton of switches ala Bogner XTC. Not knocking the Bogner amps AT ALL!!! My favorite version of the OD-100 was the SH/SE version which had the Scott Henderson mod to channel 1 and more gain on channel 2. The PT series amps probably are fantastic but I have not played one yet.

Hope this helps...

Chris
paskiainen

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thomann.de/fi/harley_benton_od100.htm?ref=search_rslt_od-100_114542_0

I don't think that od-100 is that great.... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: