Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Jazz Pianists...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jazz Pianists...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Jazz Pianists... Reply with quote

When I moved to the Chicago area in 92, I was VERY much into Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc... and although I still enjoy that music my Aunt introduced me to Stevie Ray and his "Live at the El Mocambo" tape (now dvd) was my "Aha" moment a VERY close second was Eric Johnson's ACL!!!

My Aunt also introduced me to the likes of one Oscar Peterson and I was hooked to say the least!!! She also was a big Return to Forever fan.

Ever heard Shawn Lane play some keyboards!? Holy Shit!!!

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know he played keyboards too - I'm always amazed by musicians who play more than one instrument, or sing different rhythms than the ones they're playing. I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time.

My favorite keyboard players are Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, McCoy Tyner, Keith Jarrett - if you haven't heard them, definitely worth a listen.
countandduke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my very favorite concerts (dvd) is Miles Davis at the Isle of Wight. Jarrett on keys, Chick on keys, Dave Holland on bass, DeJohnette on drums... I've seen it sober and then stoned and it makes MUCH more sense NOT sober, but I think a famous music critic said that very same thing about an album of 2 of Davis'. They all look so young!!!!! It's neat to see them so early on their careers and although it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it's neat to see that many great musicians all on the same stage.

Yes Shawn was a fan of VERY fast keyboard players and said it was just something his system did. Nowadays we probably call it ADD/ADHD. BUT, although Shawn was in my opinion the fastest picker ever, he was SUPER tasty and knew how to make music from that speed...

Best,
Chris
sieuminh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, how much do you like Michel Petrucciani? My music teacher (a pianist although I play the guitar) thinks he has the best touch and sound on the piano. I've heard some of his solo stuff and thought it's pretty amazing ...
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a great player - I didn't know his music enough to say he was one of my favorites, but I heard some YouTube clips that were amazing, particularly a video of him playing Giant Steps. Serious chops!
countandduke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I LOVE about Oscar Peterson was his ability to play very fast runs that were not always "in time", BUT...... He ALWAYS knew where 1 was! Art Tatum was an influence of Oscars but he was more "in time" do to speak and I think that's why I prefer jazz piano to "classical". My Uncle is a professional pianist in New York and can play anything you put in front of him, but a Fake Book? Nope, he wouldn't know what to play... If it's not written out... 😃

Scott, I imagine your wife appreciates both classical AND jazz but IMOP, the improvisation part of jazz allows MUCH more freedom for the player to come through. I've heard that certain pianists can actually possess their own "sound" on the piano. Not talking about chord voicings or runs bug the actual "touch" on the piano. Monk comes to mind and I find that pretty fascinating... Guitarists have guitars, pickups, amps, speakers, etc... But a grand piano is s grand piano so for a Monk, Peterson, Zawinul, Hancock, Corea, etc... to all play the same instrument and have it sound different is pretty awesome in my book. ALTHOUGH...... The very same could be said of an acoustic guitar... Jimmy Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Robert Johnson.... Wood and some strings...

Best,

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: