Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - bad week
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

bad week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: bad week Reply with quote

I heard you say that Mike Stern broke his shoulders, and guess what I just read on FB... Gary Willis has broken his hip (moutain bike accident). Had you heard about it?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that sucks! The worst thing for me is the death of Anton Yelchin, the 27 year old actor who plays Chekov in the Star Trek movies. He was the only son of my daughter's ice skating coaches and this is just devastating. Beyond comes out next week - I'm going but it's gonna be really sad.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very sad. And the way it happened is horrible and dumb in the same time.
Compared to that, Willis accident is nothing. And à broken hip is not as bad for a bass player as à shoulder or à wrist. Had it been Shakira, it would not be the same story, cause it's her main talent.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, have you had the chance to give Mike Stern a call to see how he's doing? I'm concerned about how he's doing because it sounds like a nasty injury, especially for a guitarist. I had tickets to see him here but I guess that's not going to happen now. I've been a fan of Mike's for a long time also and that's where I first found the great Dennis Chambers, in Mike and the late Bob Berg's band. Ever since Dennis just amazes me, he is so versatile and talented. Make sure you let Mike know that he is in all of our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Can't forget your old partner in crime, Willis. Have you spoken to him about his daredevil antics on the bike and how he's doing? Hope he's OK and tell him that it's time to trade that mountain bike in for a Vespa!

Also wanted to comment on the tragedy of Anton Yelchin. I know it hits home with you because it is almost like family. He was a great young actor with a whole career ahead of him and it was such an avoidable accident. When I first heard about it on the news I couldn't believe it and all due to another stupid recall. That's why I still drive older classic cars because they were made so much better and you don't have to worry about airbags or the car itself killing you! I hope you can still enjoy Beyond and try to remember him for what a great young talent he was and not for the tragic way he died.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on the Jeep website and read about at least 50 other incidents where the same thing happened with the Cherokee - besides Anton, nothing fatal but a few very close calls. I'm sure the company will be appropriately sued.

No calls to Willis or Mike yet - too soon and I don't want to bother them.
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread but I've seen a couple videos where they showed an old car being crashed and then a new car being crashed at the same speed etc... The newer cars did WAY better because the newer cars are designed to spread the force of the impact through the entire car... Newer cars are MUCH safer in accidents...

Chris
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously ANY death that could have been avoided is a tragedy but I believe the auto industry has made some really good steps in crash safety... I have z friend that doesn't wear seatbelts because a friend of his died in High School wearing a seatbelt. BUT... Statistics have shown wearing a seatbelt is STILL the safest thing to do...

Chris
paskiainen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are having 2 guitarists to fill in for Mike on the tour. Quite understandably since Mike is such a monster player.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread but I've seen a couple videos where they showed an old car being crashed and then a new car being crashed at the same speed etc... The newer cars did WAY better because the newer cars are designed to spread the force of the impact through the entire car... Newer cars are MUCH safer in accidents...

Chris

Chris you are 100% right about newer cars being safer in crash tests. But I've never had to worry about a '56 Thunderbird or Chevy Impala rolling over me once I put it in park or the airbag deploying and embedding glass in my face. Head on crash tests, yes. But I'll also tell you I have had newer cars run into my metal tanks and come away totaled and all I've done is wipe their paint off of my car. As an open wheel (IndyCar, Formula 1) fan they have made large strides in spreading the sheer force of energy in crashes. But my point was that newer cars are not as well made due to all the stupid recalls either from human error or the car companies not paying attention and just worrying about getting those new models out. (Hey Chris, I think we officially hijacked the thread!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: