Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Listening recommendations
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Listening recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Listening recommendations Reply with quote

I’m in desperate search for some music to check out! Do you have any recommendations from the top of your head? (I'm not thinking about the obvious classics that everyone should now like Miles, Coltrane, Shorter.)
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, obvious classics aren't obvious to everyone. Off the top of my head, and this list is missing thousands.... If I said Cannonball Adderley, Sonny Rollins, Joe Henderson, are those classics to you? Or are you looking for younger players like Mark Turner, Chris Potter, Shamus Blake, Joshua Redman?

Ever listen to Debussy, Ravel, Bartok, Gentle Giant? Led Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Albert King, Albert Collins? Tower Of Power, Stevie Wonder, Beyonce, Sly Stone?

I guess you need to ask the question a little more specifically. Chances are if they're great musicians, you've already heard of them. If they're unknown players to you, chances are that I haven't heard of them either - I'm working on my own music and not involved that much in searching out new music to listen to.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Since you turned me into a Gentle Giant fan, can you recommend some of your favorites by Bartok and Ravel. Claude DeBussy I have listened to and studied but Bartok and Ravel I need a little help with. What do you recommend (you can also throw some DeBussy faves in also!) Thanks as always.
BS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, off course you´re right!

I think not only recording artists, but even listeners have a challenge with the new era of streaming. There´s ton of music at your fingertips, but hard to know where to start when searching for new stuff, so I tend to end up listening to things I know already over and over again.

I know all the names you mention, but i have never really checked out Gentle Giant, Sly Stone and Beyonce, so if you have any suggestions for records to start with, I would be grateful.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite albums:

Sly Stone - Fresh
Beyonce - Dangerously In Love
Gentle Giant - Power and the Glory

Classical:

Debussy - Clair de lune, Reverie
Ravel - Miroirs
Bartok - no idea

Most of the classical music I hear is played by my wife, who has her doctorate in classical music and piano. She knows I like something when I say "what the hell was that??" She tells me the name of the composer and song, which is usually something like "piano concerto #2 in D minor" and then I forget. Seems like those guys could've picked better names for their tunes... she's played a lot of Bartok and I like most of it, but sorry if I can't name the songs.
BS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for taking the time- I will check this stuff out immediately!

You´re lucky to have guiding on classical music in house!
Red Suede

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention "Fresh". Bobby Vega is a friend, and he wrote and played the bass line for "High on You" at fifteen. He is a stupendous bass player, and we've played together a time or two.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Thanks for the info on Ravel and Bartok. Can you do me a favor and ask the wife who some of her favorite interpreters of their music is? Does she have any CD's or albums to recommend? Being that she has her doctorate I would really value her opinion. Thanks as always.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She says Robert Casadesus was one of the most famous pianists interpreting the music of Ravel, Zoltan Kocsis is one of the best pianists for Bartok, but Bartok made many piano recordings of his own music, and Jean-Yves Thibaudet is considered one of the best pianists playing the music of both Debussy and Ravel.
muddytrane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Thank your wife for me for the info and you for taking the time to ask. You are very lucky to have an amazing wife and family. Have a great upcoming tour!
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

Beyonce - Dangerously In Love

How refreshing, naming Beyonce as one of your favourites. I once referred to her on a dutch guitar forum and wasn't very far from being banned for it... Smile

It reminds me of a party at the conservatory in The Hague. Frans Elsen was a beloved and feared and hugely respected piano/arranging teacher. Total bop head/hardliner, and also quite some times very hard on his students. When asked at the party what music he wanted to hear he answered 'Slave Of The Rhythm' by Grace Jones, leaving all us young and aspiring new jazz cats in awe! Smile

Last edited by peter_heijnen on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing worse than jazz snobs who think jazz is the only music in the world worth listening to. Fucking idiots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: