Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Did I hear what I heard?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Did I hear what I heard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I agree Dizzy, it's a question which wants the answer to be "I like it" or "I don't like it". I totally understand wanting to know, but it's something you talk about with your friends, not something to tell the public. I think it's easy to forget that musicians all know each other, or at least have mutual friends - anything that's written about someone eventually gets back to them. Even if I say something positive, it still feels like I'm up on a pedestal judging someone else, and what gives me the right to be there?

Speaking for myself, I just want to be sure it's clear that I wasn't interested in you simply saying you liked or didn't like Chick Corea. I was curious to see if I could better grasp why you think the way you do about all of his material post 1985 and if your statements about it being pop-jazz would apply to some of the pieces which seemed more 'serious' to me which I imagined you hadn't heard.

I appreciated the discussion about that and do think it was somewhat fruitful to flesh out how you hear things.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Kinsey on the podcast last night and everyone had a great time. As I knew, both Kinsey and Bruce got on my case about being too hard on myself and I went down in flames. Of course you're right, and we came to the same conclusions last night that people who know very little about fusion hear a fretless bass and think Jaco, regardless of huge stylistic differences. They also hear warm organic synth sounds and think Joe. Although I still believe some of our music was too close to WP, much of it wasn't, and back then I may have overreacted - it's just a pet peeve of mine to be compared to someone else.

As far as Chick Corea, he's one person I don't mind giving an opinion about, simply because I don't like him as a person and couldn't care less if he's offended. He's a brilliant improvisor and sometimes composer, but he's also written some of the corniest shit ever, and don't get me started on those synth sounds. It's also my opinion that Scientology is an evil cult of greed, and he's done his best to draw people into it, causing financial ruin and unhappiness to many gullible and unsuspecting people. So fuck Chick Corea.
stampycatandstuff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott. This is my first post here, and before I make any kind of commentary, I want to let you know that some of your playing moments, as well as compositional moments, are some of my absolute favorite in the genre (whatever that genre is haha). True gems. I'm sure when you listen back to your playing, it conjures up all sorts of stuff that may even be peripheral to the music, but for us, it's pretty pure experience, and a great one at that. For example, when I listen to something as far back as Dr. Hee, I think it is one of the best "fusion" albums of the 80s.
That said, I love your playing on King Cockroach and Silver Temple. And, I love those tunes, and I somewhat reject just how negative you seem to be about that whole album. I don't necesarily agree that it's pop-jazz (maybe some tracks). That would almost be like me saying that Zawinul sounds like meandering nothingness (yes, some of that Zawinul Syndicate stuff CAN go off in that direction). But of course, criticizing Joe Zawinul might be blasphemy here (just a joke!). That said, I wouldn't ever describe Joe that way. I honestly wonder if your personal, let's be honest, emotionally charged dislike of Chick (hence the "so fuck Chick" comment) might make it hard for you to really be objective. I doubt I'm the only one who sees it this way. I just genuinely see it as unfortunate that one of the guitarists that I respect the most in the whole world (you) seems to have such a dismissive attitude towards something that means a lot to many of his fans.
Side note, really, who cares if Chick is a Scientologist. That's his problem. And I can all but guarantee the guy ain't converting anyone to the "faith" haha. It's just part of the semi-bizarre guy he is. And you felt it was a bad fit for you. Great. Move on. But I'm not on board with the attitude. This is with all due respect, Scott.
Love your playing. Love your compositions. And, I really appreciate your honesty with your fans. It's pretty awesome that we get this kind of interaction with you.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, and no offense taken whatsoever. My opinion is that Silver Temple is a great composition, and it's what got me interested in playing in his band in the first place. King Cockroach wasn't bad, but when I heard the other tunes I was really disappointed. I know they're not nearly as bad as Kenny G, but it just isn't my thing at all. I felt that way long before I had any personal problems with Chick.

I'm not going to elaborate further on how I was treated in that band - you can go to INDEX, look up Chick Corea, and I'm sure you'll get why I don't like him.

I don't like organized religion either. I have nothing against people of faith, but I don't appreciate evangelists who say their religion is the only true one, and try to convert others into it, or even worse, bring it into our government or commit terrorism in the name of it. Don't kid yourself - Chick is a hard core evangelist for one of the worst cults in the world, and he even preaches about it at his shows. You're wrong when you say he hasn't converted anyone - I personally know some of them. Again, fuck him and his bullshit religion. He's rolling in Scientology endorsement money made off the backs of poor people who've been brainwashed and forced to leave their families and work in little cubicles for no pay whatsoever, in return for getting more sci-fi fairy tales pushed into their heads. I don't care how good a piano player he is, or how good an actor Tom Cruise is - they're both involved in a seriously fucked up cult which does great damage to weak minded people.

All that being said, I like Chick's playing and some of his compositions. I don't have to like that corny shit he writes. Can we close the conversation on this guy? I don't ever think about him unless his name comes up here or on emails to the podcast. I'm SO over talking about him. I have a better political cause, which is to keep Trump out of the White House.

Last edited by Scott Henderson on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
stampycatandstuff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention this, Scott: I could easily be wrong! I wasn't there. You were. Enough said right!
Again, keep being you! I guess it's always that happy medium between being you and giving the "political" answer.
What? You don't want to make America great (again)??
Thanks again bud, we appreciate it!
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, thanks again for being straight as ever!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: