Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Wet/Dry and 100% Mix Question
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Wet/Dry and 100% Mix Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikoo69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Wet/Dry and 100% Mix Question Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I'm going to experiment with a Wet/Dry setup after reading about your approach. I understand you use a preset that has some delay and reverb and is 100% wet...what are your thoughts on Wet/Dry without 100% wet effects?

I use 2 analog delays in series followed by a reverb followed by a looper (for layering anything from ambient backgrounds to harmonized riffs, etc.).

I love the idea of having my guitar signal in my main amp uncluttered by delay repeats, reverb tails and loops, so that I can get the best interaction between the speaker and my guitar (feedback, clarity, etc.).

Though in my situation, it doesn't seem that running the effects 100% wet would work. I could try running the delays and verb in parallel so that they are 100% wet, though the looper would then pose a problem as I don't want my loops to just be a wet signal. I also like 2 delays in series, and delay into reverb in series over parallel anyway.

What are your thoughts on running Wet/Dry and not using 100% wet effects? Any tips? Is there still a benefit in this case compared to just using 1 amp?

FYI I use a Fryette Power Station which gives me an FX Loop after both the preamp and poweramp of my vintage fender deluxe reverb, so with my current setup, my delays, reverbs and looper are in an effects loop just before the speaker (and utilize the Fryette's power amp rather than the pre/power amp of the deluxe to amplify the delay, reverb and looper signal)....Still, everything comes out of one speaker so I'm not sure this functions as good as a wet/dry setup.

Thanks for the advice!
countandduke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'll chime in here and say that the idea of a wet/dry is that literally one amp has ALL effects and the other is completely DRY. The idea is that the speaker(s) on the "wet" side can focus just on the effects side of the signalsnd the "dry" side can focus on just that side of the signal. So if you have the effects AND dry signal trying to come out of the same speaker it's DOUBLE the work... the result from the wet/dry setup is a clearer and more "focused" sound...

Good Luck,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any dry sound whatsoever in the wet amp, you're going to have phasing problems and it'll sound weird. If you're using two separate effects, your only choice is to cascade one after another into the wet amp, or use a mixer before the wet amp. If your effects are stereo, you'd need a mixer and two wet amps, though I personally don't think stereo rigs are a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: