Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Santana said Beyonce can't sng and you say?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Santana said Beyonce can't sng and you say?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopDog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Santana said Beyonce can't sng and you say? Reply with quote

Below is an except that's floating around the web. I know you are fan of Beyonce and not so much a fan of Santana, neither am I.

I thought his comment was a huge, "WTF, are you serious dude?" I can't imagine he really believes this. He must be deaf.

----------------
By Amanda Wicks

In a comment that’s sure to bring a massive attack from the BeyHive, Carlos Santana has offered his opinion about why Adele won Album of the Year at the 59th Annual GRAMMY Awards. According to him, Beyoncé isn’t a “real” singer"

“I think that Adele won because she can sing, sing,” Santana told the Australian Associated Press (via New Zealand Herald).

To make matters worse, he also tried to qualify the difference between Adele’s talent and Beyoncé’s. “With all respect to our sister Beyoncé,” he said, “Beyoncé is very beautiful to look at and it’s more like modeling kind of music—music to model a dress—she’s not a singer, singer, with all respect to her.”
TopDog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a funny Santana story -

I went in the early 90's to see Jeff Beck who open for Santana in New York (Jones Beach) . I stuck around for some of Santana's set, which was pretty boring. At one point Santana started rapping about peace, love, El Salvador, love each other, the loss of Bill Graham and Jerry Garcia. He went on-and-on. Babbling away and lighting incense. The crowd was quiet and solemn, when all of a sudden some guy behind me screamed "shut the fuck up and play some music, we don't give a shit, we came to hear music."

It was funny as shit. Dennis Chambers was on drums btw.

Jeff Beck was great that night.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe he said that. If he didn't, rumors are a terrible thing. If he did, that's what happens when you smoke weed 24/7 - doesn't do much for your playing, or your opinions.
TopDog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted rumors are bad but this isn't, he had a follow-up statement a day later.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he say the same/similar things about Beyonce in that statement too?
Thelonious Beck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Santana said Beyonce can't sng and you say? Reply with quote

TopDog wrote:
Below is an except that's floating around the web. I know you are fan of Beyonce and not so much a fan of Santana, neither am I.

I thought his comment was a huge, "WTF, are you serious dude?" I can't imagine he really believes this. He must be deaf.

----------------
By Amanda Wicks

In a comment that’s sure to bring a massive attack from the BeyHive, Carlos Santana has offered his opinion about why Adele won Album of the Year at the 59th Annual GRAMMY Awards. According to him, Beyoncé isn’t a “real” singer"

“I think that Adele won because she can sing, sing,” Santana told the Australian Associated Press (via New Zealand Herald).

To make matters worse, he also tried to qualify the difference between Adele’s talent and Beyoncé’s. “With all respect to our sister Beyoncé,” he said, “Beyoncé is very beautiful to look at and it’s more like modeling kind of music—music to model a dress—she’s not a singer, singer, with all respect to her.”

There is some irony here. The Grammy voters gave an award to Milli Vanilli, who didn't even sing on their own album, and everybody who voted for them knew it, since they were all in the industry. It was an open secret. They took away the award after there was public outrage (for some reason). They also thought Jethro Tull was a heavy metal band. Carlos shouldn't spend quite so much energy defending this organization's choices.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the guy that has a career of releasing 'duetts' with singers that are popular at that given moment. Smart businessmove, nothing more nothing less. It looks like he would prefer doing a duett with Adele instead of Beyonce.

Nevertheless, that doesn't make his remark on Beyonce less idiot.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read the quote again - he never said she can't sing, he meant that adele is soley focused on performing the song - most of which seem to be lovers lament ballads - there's no theatrics. Beyonce has the giant show and the dancing and the lip synching. the focus is not on the pure vocal performance on the song. I am sure he would say sinatra was a singer, singer but timberlake is not, even though timberlakes range crushes sinatra, Got it? Fuckin group-think at its finest. He never said Beyonce can't sing. Read for yourselves for pete's sake.

For the record, I think they are both unlistenable commercial nonsense.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that's not what he is saying. He is not commenting their shows but their singing.

Did you ever listen to an album of Beyonce? Judging Carlos' comments he didn't either.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_heijnen wrote:
Sorry, that's not what he is saying. He is not commenting their shows but their singing.

Did you ever listen to an album of Beyonce? Judging Carlos' comments he didn't either.

Yes I stand corrected. He said she can't sing and she sucks. You're right, I take it back.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he actually did say "she's not a real singer", it pisses me off because she's one of my favorite singers. Not every one of her hits features one of her stellar vocal performances, but that's OK, sometimes it's more about the tune. Listen to "Me Myself and I" and tell me she's not a singer. No disrespect to Adele because she's very talented, but nowhere near Beyonce's level as a singer. Again, Carlos has said many questionable things (I've heard stories from Dennis) so i don't take him seriously anyway. Most of the time it's just comedy to me, but don't say Beyonce isn't a real singer - that's bullshit.

Last edited by Scott Henderson on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did not say she is not a real singer, that is from the writer trying to whip up facebook/twitter click bait. He said she's not a singer, singer in comparison to adele - he's just saying she doesn't have any hits where the production isn't cranked up where as adele's hits all seem to be stripped down and focused solely on the lyrical delivery. That's all he's saying in his own way. So the title of this thread says Santana says she can't sing, which is not what he said at all. A guy with 50 years in the music biz and has worked with everybody, think's she can't sing? There's no doubt she can deliver a piano ballad. Hopefully the lyrics won't be about blowing her husband in a limo though Laughing

Also I've given this thread a bad Yelp review.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what he said was “Beyoncé is very beautiful to look at and it’s more like modeling kind of music — music to model a dress — she’s not a singer, singer, with all respect to her.”

Then later he said his comment was taken out of context, which made me laugh because that statement can't possibly be taken out of context.

I happen to like Beyonce's music and I believe her writers are far more talented than Santana's writers. Many people criticize Beyonce because she doesn't compose her own music, but neither does Jeff Beck and I don't hear any complaints about that.

What Santana said about Beyonce was insulting and way off base. I wouldn't be giving this thread a bad review - he said what he said and we certainly have the right to call bullshit on it.
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the same thing where somewhere on this board either you, or someone else said Alex Lifeson isn't a guitar player's guitar player. Even though the guy has come up with memorable riffs and solos. Sounds like basically the same comment. I don't think whoever said the above was saying Lifeson can't play - cause that's not what the guy said.. unlike the title of the thread which says santana said beyonce can't sing.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that was very different. I remember it very well because i was the Lifeson fan that asked Scott that question.

Scott answered very diplomatic, although he also kind of compared Lifeson with Andy Summers. How much i like The Police though, to me that is almost like comparing Ritchie Blackmore with Ted Nugent. (Haha, sweet revenge Wink...)

Saying Lifeson is not a guitarplayers guitarplayer is nothing that surprises me and i do understand that opinion. But saying so is really not the same as saying Lifeson is a good looking dude that plays or even mimes guitar in Rush.

I specifically asked Scott that question because i know all top guitarplayers in the Netherlands but not a single one of them knows Lifeson. So i was curious how Lifeson is looked at by the top players in America.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: