Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - How do you ab stuff?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

How do you ab stuff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: How do you ab stuff? Reply with quote

Hey Scott

Obviously if there is a big difference it is easy.
But sometimes I'll try a new pedal or amp and think it sounds good next to my rig. So I'll take it on a gig and it will suck.
Like when I got excited about my new Rat pedal and I took it on a gig and felt like crying.
Or when something sounds great but then feels stiff and hard to play so you play worse. It almost seems impossible to tell if you like gear until you try it on a gig and by then it is too late.
You almost never change gear and that is probably why right? Your marshal, single coils, and sd9 has been your sound for over a decade.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two aspects of gear, tone and functionality. The second one is pretty impossible to determine anywhere but on the gig. There are plenty of music stores with return policies so no problem there. I can't count the times I've bought stuff from Guitar Center and taken it back - they're surprised if I actually buy something.

If the difference in gear is subtile, I have a "solo" that I can play exactly the same which covers the whole neck. I play the same solo twice using the gear I want to A/B and then switch between the two tracks. I can hear small details better when I'm not playing. I'm sure it's the same for any DAW, but in DP I can solo & mute one track and un-mute the other, so one click of the solo button toggles between the two tracks. I have DP Remote on my iPhone so I can even hear it from different places in the room.
dizzy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott
That is a good idea to have a worked out solo. I'm going to do that. Otherwise the gear that you like will be the gear that you improvise the best solo out of.
Yeah, I have returned more stuff to musicians friend than I have bought:) I keep waiting for them to ban me or send me a warning.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, i don't know if my subconscience made me 'dislike' my Carl Martin HDB more and more so i could justify getting the RCv2, but either way this weekend i finally got one. Boy, do i love it!

I also finally AB'd the battery vs wallwart operation. Simply by unplugging the wallwart back and forth, couldn't be easier. I tried both 9v and 18v wallwart vs battery and i was amazed. As you already mentioned the difference won't be neccesary noticable in a loud noisy environment, but wow batteries really rule big time in this pedal!

I remember you mentioning that the RC hates alkalines even more than wallwarts and carbon zink is the way to go. I can not imagine that you did not AB different brands of carbon zinks, so does the brand matter and if so which ones are best and which ones are to avoid?

Anyhow, thx for being involved in making the RCv2, i fell asleep tonight sitting on my chair with the guitar in my arms. Wink
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't a lot of carbon zinc batteries that I've seen for sale in stores. Most stores sell the usual Eveready 9v, which is black with silver letters and a logo of a cat jumping through the 9. I've seen a few Panasonic batteries, and Xotic ships it's pedals with a green looking battery - probably Japanese. Never felt like comparing them - they probably all sound the same.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx again Scott!

The battery in my RC looks like this one:
MesolimbicNAc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be a good a idea to buy a mains power filter,if you play at home,since often the power coming from the socket is unfiltered and full of spurious energy.This could make a difference in sound.

In Europe often the clubs don't have a regulated power supply and that can make a difference too-sometimes with horrible consequences,especially for amps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: