Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Dame Evelyn Glennie about listening with your whole body
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Dame Evelyn Glennie about listening with your whole body

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MesolimbicNAc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Dame Evelyn Glennie about listening with your whole body Reply with quote

i've seen this one a long time ago, i found it so interesting, insightful,and influencing me as musician,i would like to hear Scott's opinion about what she says about listening with your whole body.

First video is a bit long but it is Worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3V6zNER4g

here there's another short interview that is also quite interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIlfxNHBGE8

Dame Glennie is a world known percussionist who become deaf when she was about 12,That didn't stop her to play music,as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw05QRdBiis
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She has some good points about being expressive on an instrument, but in this context she's playing solo so it's all about her. In my opinion, paying too much attention to your body and your instrument can also be a distraction from music. I've seen video of myself making "guitar faces" when I bend strings, and generally looking very animated - as if all the energy I have is going into what I'm doing. I've come to see this as a negative thing - nervous energy which leads me to pay too much attention to myself instead of the music as a whole. When I'm relaxed, I'm listening just as much to the other musicians as I'm listening to myself. Also, not staring at the fingerboard helps me in the same way. I'm not saying don't feel your instrument, because obviously good tone and finesse can't be achieved unless you do, but paying too much attention to your body and your instrument distracts you from what's going on around you.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to His Majesty Scott, I have to disagree about the faces. Here is a short lesson by Paul Gilbert,truly enlightening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8-UM9dFonA
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul always makes me smile. Smile

It's a strange thing with focus and concentration. I tend to think that a lot of troubles is generated bij overfocussing. I would never arrive at a job being hungover, but in my young days i've had a few early morning rehearsals with a hardrock band while being hungover because we had 'a few' drinks the night before. At those few occasions, inspite of feeling nearly dead, i played amazing! My theory is that with such low energy level i didn't have any energy left for distractions, i had only enough for the music.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha - Paul is playing a different kind of music - it makes no difference what's going on around him, he can concentrate 100% on himself since there's not much interplay in metal.

I've also found that I play better when I haven't had much sleep - I guess I'm more relaxed and less worried about having "something to prove". The kind of music I play sounds better with a relaxed feel, and a medium volume. Once it gets really loud, it's very difficult for me to relax.
MesolimbicNAc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for taking your time and answer to my question:).

I understand completely what you're sayng and i can relate to that.Again, thanks for your advice.

When i've played with other musicians-from harp players,french horn players ,djembč players, i found that the best way for me was to forget about myself as person and just listen,immersing myself in the music i hear.By then i know by instict what to play and my only concern is to not overplay and just tryng to fit in the music i hear.

Sorry if it sounds a bit like i've become soft in the head,so to speak,but i don't know how describe it properly.

If i understood it correctly,what you are referrin to in your last sentence is called "beta" state, when the conscious mind hasn't taken over the control yet,so the energy is more flowing.There was reference to that in a book by Julia Cameron,"The artist way".
I've heard many fellow musicians and even famous ones making reference about being more creative when they are still a bit asleep.

About Dame Glennie, she found a way to overcome her deafness,and also changed the way musicians are selected in the Brit orchestras.

Her way to "listen " with her Whole body allowed her to play perfectly with full orchestras too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZNLdvPFWZI

I found her point fascinating and inspiring.The advice you gave here helped me a great deal-tnanks so much!It is rare to find someone so kind and helpful.

About making faces, i strongly suggests you to watch this-i think you may like it!Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-pbGvFlTo
Thanasis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I'd like to share my story and my personal problem with interaction with my drummer.
We are not as good musicians, but we know when something goes wrong with the fucking groove.
Looking around to see what's wrong I see everyone looking at each other apart from our drummer who is playing random shit that doesn't go with the bass line or the guitar riffs. I am always on the verge of throwing my guitar at him, but both him and my guitar have a sentimental value to me. Don't know what to do, happens all the time and I'm taking stuff seriously more than all the other lads in the band.It is a huge problem when someone doesn't hear what's going on around them. You have to lay back a bit and focus on interaction, no matter what the style youre playing. People who know can tell immediately and it's a huge mistake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: