Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - What do you play in a band with saxophone and keyboard?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

What do you play in a band with saxophone and keyboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randope

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: What do you play in a band with saxophone and keyboard? Reply with quote

Hey Scott,
I have recently gotten into a band with sax and keys. I find it very hard to find my place in the mix with all of these midrange instruments. Do you have any tips on tone, sections to play, comping, etc?

Thanks,
Randy
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to be positive here, but it's hard... I don't even like playing with keyboard players, so keyboards and sax would be rough. For my taste, laying out a lot would be advised, unless you can talk the keyboard player into letting you comp for the sax solos. Keyboard players usually comp for themselves, so it usually calls for that single note type of comping from the guitarist, which I had to do a lot with Zawinul's band. I hated it, and asked Joe if he'd ever heard of Jimi Hendrix - that's what guitar players are supposed to do. On the bright side, on your solos you can watch the sax player stand there with nothing to do.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing with sax and keys because i love the sound. Playing with the sax isn't a problem. Either you play unisono's or arrangements, or you comp during a sax solo. But comping in a band with keys -to me- means there is a higher authority. The way all good keyboard players i know comp, goes beyond my comprehension.

As a startingpoint in my current band the keyboards mostly follow the leadplayer and sometimes push him. The bass follows the keyboards and sometimes pushes that. I also follow the keyboards and sometimes push him. The drummer follows everybody and pushes us a lot! Smile What i'm trying to say. The keyboardplayer in this band has a natural dominant position and it sounds just fine. He is the key player.

Being the guitarplayer i try to keep my 'keyboard attention' mainly focussed on his weaker left hand. That's the one i understand most, and it gives me the most opportunity to really add to the band sound without getting in the way too much. Having been a sideman for 30 years, not getting in the way has become my second nature.
eddievig

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played guitar in some of the "big bands" in college. I was told exactly this...

Whatever you do, stay out of the piano player's way.

I'm not sure if this was about the role of the guitar in general, or my playing in specific ...
countandduke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with a pianist is very difficult because their range is much bigger than guitar but it can be done. Guitarists can also add a rhythmic effect that pianists can't because they mainly play "notes" unless they are muting the strings or something like that.

Scott, can you elaborate on your response to how you found your own place in the "Sonic Mix" of playing with Joe? I imagine that 1 or 2 note chord "stabs" could be effective but also where you place your playing is important, meaning that playing the "off beats" might allow you to add to the conversation...

There's a FANTASTIC album with the Oscar Peterson trio playing with Stan Getz and I think Herb Ellis did a fantastic job of complimenting on that album. But really, what the HELL are you gonna add when Oscar is at the piano!? Herb and Joe Pass did it wonderfully!

Best,

Chris

PS. I also have to give Herb props for playing with 2 black musicians back in the day where there were still "white" hotels and "black" hotels. Herb didn't stay at the white hotels...
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first joined the band, we were playing harmonic music - Joe often played his "Pepe" instrument which was more like a horn, so I got to comp a lot, and solo a lot too. Over time the music changed to African influenced "world music", and there wasn't any space or reason for my style of playing. That music needs single note comping, which isn't my thing, especially when I have to do it all night. That version of the band sounded the best when Gary Paulson was on guitar - he plays the shit out of that style.

No need to explain that type of guitar playing, just listen to bands like Earth Wind & Fire and you'll hear it done really well. Larry Carlton also played that style extremely well on The Nightfly by Donald Fagen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: