Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - You Tube
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

You Tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: You Tube Reply with quote

Some knucklehead just posted about 20 videos of HBC on YouTube. Since there were so many, I wrote him a message asking "please remove them, because if I do it, 20 CR hits will result in the loss of your account." As usual, from previous experience, no reply. So I removed them myself and I'm sure he lost his YT account.

Someone who saw this asked me why I left Jeff Berlin's solo bass performance up. The reason is, I have no right to remove it since I'm not playing on it and it doesn't fall within my copyright. Jeff has even asked me if I can help him but I have to electronically sign a legal document every time I remove a video - I'd be breaking the law if I do him a favor and remove his video.

This kind of shit has led me to consider following the path of John Scofield and others, who strictly forbid video taping at their shows. I've tried to be nice and let people tape, and announce NO YouTube from the stage, but it seems no one pays attention.

I've posted this before - if you're a touring musician and are tired of idiots posting your gigs on YouTube, you don't have to go through a mile of red tape to remove them. YouTube's Content Verification Program lets you remove a whole page of videos in about 15 seconds.
peter_heijnen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forbid videotaping Scott!! These people waist the actual moment to preserve a digital model of it, they need to be corrected in their behaviour.

I just returned from a gig in a small bar. There was this stupid ass that went all Steven Spielberg creative with his fucking phone. Waving it in front of everybody who played a solo, in his personal zone, to make his superbe artistic shots. It was a difficult gig with very bad room acoustics, me having a really bad flu, the soundguy wasn't very helpfull either, and then this douche puts you out of focus all the time when you're finally getting in to it...

And if he wasn't filming he was all by himself into his phone checking his shots. I don't care if people talk while i'm playing, it's a bar. But these phone zombies is what i can't stand.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much agree that some people miss the show because of their efforts to tape it, while distracting everyone around them. I think Sco is on the right track.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott I totally hear ya, but as a result no one will ever hear the jam at the HOB you and Herring did in 2009. Even jimmy said bassist, manager and sound guy wanted to hear it and never did. Bit of a shame.
Thanasis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever does it probably needs a boot on his you know what. I have to admit though, this is how I fell in love with Sphinx. Found a version on YouTube, the short intro and the phaser just haunted me. I knew it was a new one and I impatiently waited until it came on the new record.
Scott you're a living legend
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides of the argument, but I think people taping shows does more harm than good. It definitely makes me uncomfortable to look out in the audience and see 20 people holding up their iPhones, and I don't play very well when I'm uncomfortable - no one does. It's not a recording session - it's a concert. Huge difference. It's also very distracting for the people who are just trying to enjoy the music.

For musicians who are learning and want to transcribe, I get it, but your phone can be in your lap for that - you don't need video for transcribing.

And for the IDIOTS who post what they've taped on YouTube, get a fucking clue. Not all musicians are ego maniacs who are proud of everything they do and are dying for the world to see it. The jam with Jimmy was a disaster - I was trying to read a chart on the floor, couldn't see it and played like shit, so thank goodness for my CVP account so I could pull it down as soon as it was posted.

We spent a lot of money making the Live record because I wanted to document a show with good recording quality. There's no way I want my shows to be heard as distorted, crappy iPhone videos. A friend of mine taped some shows with a good camera and mic, and I put up some of those recordings on my YouTube channel because they sound OK.

About Sphinx, that was taped by Xotic with good recording gear, and with my permission. It's not my best playing but I can live with it. Rituals and a few other tunes I kept on YouTube were also recorded with my permission at venues with decent recording gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: