Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Time spent practicing
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Time spent practicing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sylvainjazz

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Time spent practicing Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Henderson!

(This is my very first try here so I'm a little febrile and excited to contact a great and famous professional musician such as you are.)

I listened with great interest an interview of you (with Rick Beato) realized about a week ago where you said that you practice guitar about 12 hours a day !?! My question is : Is this exactly correct, and if so, why and how do you get there?!? And if so where do you find time to do the daily tasks; cooking, eating, shopping, housekeeping, answering questions like this one (maybe), etc, etc ? Very Happy I understand that you are soon or currently on tour with your trio somewhere in Europe, so I really wish you the most immense success overthere!

Greetings from Montréal (I really hope you will come and play here one day!)
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a project oriented practicer and always have been - I practice the hardest when there's a gig or tour coming up to practice for. I just wrote 4 new tunes, so during the last month I've been learning them and practicing about 10 hours a day. If I don't have gigs coming up, I try to practice at least 3 or 4 hours a day. Of course there are days when I have to do other stuff and don't get to practice at all, but I try to find time to play for at least an hour on busy days.
sylvainjazz

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! It reassures me a little, one of the only other known alive musicians I heard who practice around 10 or 12 hours a day is Maurizio Pollini. I read somewhere Liszt sometimes practiced up to 20 hours in a day, but it may be a myth, who knows (?) Thank you very much for having taken the time to answer me so quickly in these particularly very busy days for you, I'm really touched and I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to hearing these 4 new compositions you're talking about! I love 100% of what you do in music! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: