Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Where to begin when expanding your musical knowledge?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Where to begin when expanding your musical knowledge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
realdealblues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Where to begin when expanding your musical knowledge? Reply with quote

Hey Scott,
Long time listener, first time poster. Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to answer questions like this. You go above and beyond for many of your fans and that's truly amazing and inspiring.

As for my question. I purchased your "Outside The Blues" video lessons and while watching it I realize I'm out of my depth to a certain degree.

I'm a part of the large group of people who play by ear. I can play just about anything and figure out the licks in the video, but when it comes to theory I am somewhat lost.

I understand how chords are built, I know how to build a major scale, I know how to find an interval, etc. I know how to figure things out but I don't have any of it memorized. I don't know all the sharps and flats in a given key, other than C major/A minor. I don't know the 3rd or 5th of every chord off the top of my head, but I do know how to figure it out.

So anyway, to make a long story short (too late I know), in watching your video I can follow what you are saying. I can build the scales you mention and I can figure out the notes, but in wanting to learn to be a better improviser and really learn to play over the chord changes better where would you recommend someone like me start?

Is it memorizing scale patterns? Memorizing the major scale for every key? Memorizing the root, 3rd and 5th (7th, etc.) for every chord? Memorizing triads or arpeggios?

I know they are all important but for someone who never really learned anything beyond a few patterns and what the notes on the fretboard are, what do you try to memorize first to start expanding your musical knowledge?

Thanks for any help and can't wait to hear your new material.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like teaching.... I don't think Scott's gonna answer that question here on the forum.
realdealblues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Thomas wrote:
Sounds like teaching.... I don't think Scott's gonna answer that question here on the forum.

Oh, my sincere apologies, I wasn't asking for a lesson or any teaching per say. I was just curious what he felt was one of the more fundamental starting points. More in the vein of what helped him at the beginning of his learning whether it was learning scale patterns or learning what the scale degrees were or the key signatures, etc. I wasn't looking for a free lesson, just a what a good starting point might be.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a teaching question, but I don't mind giving a short answer. These 3 things are extremely helpful when improvising through chord changes.

1. Understand the different chord types and how they're built.
2. Know the names of the notes in the chord.
3. know where to find those notes on the fretboard.

I'd say that knowing scales is much less important. Some of the learning process in music is very similar to learning multiplication tables, which I'm sure you learned as a kid. It's just 12 x 12 - not really difficult at all. My daughter knew the multiplication tables and key signatures when she was 8.

For example, a musician who's asked to play the major 3rd of B should immediately know it's a D#, and be able to immediately find that D# on the instrument. The reason it's harder for guitarists than pianists is simply because the guitar is a more difficult instrument. Piano has one middle C - we have 5! Learning the fretboard is probably the hardest part, but well worth the effort. I'd suggest finding a good private teacher - nothing beats a one on one learning experience.
realdealblues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
It's a teaching question, but I don't mind giving a short answer. These 3 things are extremely helpful when improvising through chord changes.

1. Understand the different chord types and how they're built.
2. Know the names of the notes in the chord.
3. know where to find those notes on the fretboard.

I'd say that knowing scales is much less important. Some of the learning process in music is very similar to learning multiplication tables, which I'm sure you learned as a kid. It's just 12 x 12 - not really difficult at all. My daughter knew the multiplication tables and key signatures when she was 8.

For example, a musician who's asked to play the major 3rd of B should immediately know it's a D#, and be able to immediately find that D# on the instrument. The reason it's harder for guitarists than pianists is simply because the guitar is a more difficult instrument. Piano has one middle C - we have 5! Learning the fretboard is probably the hardest part, but well worth the effort. I'd suggest finding a good private teacher - nothing beats a one on one learning experience.

Thank you for the response Scott, that's all I was wondering. How you felt about the level of importance on such things. Thanks again and I sincerely appreciate the advice. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: