Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - How to create the best environment for yourself?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

How to create the best environment for yourself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasym

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: How to create the best environment for yourself? Reply with quote

Hello! My name is Kasym. I am from Kyrgyzstan. Would you please so kind to give an advice? How can I create a Jazz environment in order to grow as fast as possible, while I am living In а сountry where jazz and music in general are not in good situation? is it real to become a professional jazz musician by having only Internet connection and enormous desire to achieve big goals? It would be great to hear any advice from you ,because I am the only guitar player who tries and learns to play jazz in my country, and we had couple of guitarists who is older than me but they gave up music. And almost all local musicians have a lot of limiting beliefs. I just trying to get rid of that beliefs, forget about boundaries and work towards my goal.
I have been in your concert in Almaty.It was Amazing. It suddenly opened my mind, it was totally different than I heard in YouTube and Mp3. I realized that in my current situation even 100 years is not enough to become a musician of the same level.

What would you do, how would you practice, if you were born in a country such as Kyrgyzstan , but if you had, attitude, mentality ,whatever...that you have now, and you wanted to become a musician as you are now?
ErfanAkli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy I have the same problem , but I never give up , I'm from Iran , There are great musicians here but they play persian traditional music or rock, not jazz. I think your goal's not impossible. I'm really anxious for Scott's advice , He makes me hopeful.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you two different kinds of advice. About playing, you can become a great player by staying at home transcribing and practicing all the time, but playing with other musicians who share your goals would speed up the process. Finding a good private teacher is also important.

About career, if you're REALLY serious about wanting to play jazz for a living and there's no way to do it where you live, then you have to consider eventually moving to another city. I know that's not easy, but many people have left their countries for better opportunities somewhere else. I didn't have to change countries - I had a comfortable life in a small town in Florida. When I was 25, I realized I was going nowhere so I moved to LA and had an extremely tough life for two years just trying to eat and pay rent. Eventually I met some good players and my career started to take off, which would've never happened if I'd stayed in Florida. Many of the famous musicians we listen to are from small towns, but they eventually moved to New York or other places which have bigger jazz communities. Hope that helps!
Kasym

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O! Thank You very Much!
Quote:
you can become a great player by staying at home transcribing and practicing all the time

that's sounds good! it gives a hope!

Quote:
Many of the famous musicians we listen to are from small towns, but they eventually moved to New York or other places which have bigger jazz communities

I will definitely do this! and I always wanted) so I now I,m looking for opportunities) because visa problems make it very difficult .

And the last point. For now, while I'm living here I need to figure out how to be able to hear a lot more!....because I found that when American musicians come to my country and play some gigs, unfortunately it happens only 1 time per year. I start to reveal something for myself that I never heard in recordings, and after it starts to affects every recording that I listen, I start to understand how it is really supposed to sound.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can use some things about the traditional music of your culture to differentiate yourself too. You probably naturally play in a unique way because of the music you heard growing up.
Kasym

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
Maybe you can use some things about the traditional music of your culture to differentiate yourself too. You probably naturally play in a unique way because of the music you heard growing up.

Yes! and I will. Probably I need to learn to play on a traditional instrument)
Thanasis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kasym. I believe that all eastern countries have a rich musical background that can be adopted in western styles. Id say pick up your guitar and transcribe your local music while you study jazz harmony and all the scales etc etc... Then move to a western country and boom there we have a new star maybe? Apart from mr Henderson and a very few others no one bothered to enrich their musical vocabulary and borrow musical ideas from the east.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanasis,

I'm sorry, but I agree to disagree (guitarwank lingo, in case it sounds weird to you)
You say only a few musicians enrich their music with eastern vocabulary.
I would say that a lot of them do.
What makes Scott and a few other different is the way they do it.
I like when that vocabulary is used in a parsimonious way, and when it fits the tune, rather than the "let's play phrygian for my tune called Nefertiti, and dorian for the Dungeon's song" way".
Kasym

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! my life will never be the same) Cool
Thanasis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kev youre right, I shouldnt have suggested it this way.
I was thinking only those who do it right and I think that there are not as many. There's more guitarists copying other guitarists who have an enriched vocabulary by having transcribed other instruments and genres. The world of guitar today suffers from lack of originality. Most modern and young players only prefer transcribing guitar related stuff. At least where I live. Anyway, sorry for my bold statements, it's just what I think. And I like to encourage people in general, thats why I oversimplified everything, in the last post. Sorry..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: