Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Master volume and headroom
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Master volume and headroom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiznik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Master volume and headroom Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I have try some Fender amps to make layering with my main sound with a Marshall. but it seems that they doesn't fit with my playing. Crying or Very sad

So I use my Marshall in two main ways: preamp vol up and master vol just a little. It makes a sound similar to you, as you explained it in your video.

And in the other way, I use the master vol up max, and just a little preamp, which is my "Fender" like sound.
This second one has more headroom, less distortion and less compression and it takes the pedals in a different way from the first one.

I know you prefer the preamp tubes working to make the sound better, but what is your feeling about this two different ways to use an amp?

Thanks,

Nicolas
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great sounds, but they make you play differently because of the difference in compression and gain. I think of preamp distortion as a "fusion" or horn-like tone (Holdsworth, Beck). It's thick tone which is better for legato playing and getting feedback (the good kind). Turning the preamp down and power amp up, or using a non-master volume amp, gives a more chimey tone with less distortion (Blackmore, SRV). The sustain comes from the volume (it's loud!!) which wouldn't work in my situation because I need gain at many different volume levels. A non-master volume amp has to fit with the volume the band plays at, because you have to turn it up loud enough for it to do it's thing. That's why a lot of guys who play those amps use smaller ones, like a vintage Fender Deluxe or Marshall JTM 45.
Wiznik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott for your answer.

Yes the preamp up sound is great and thick.

I was asking for layering some guitars in a recording.

In your video, you are giving us some EQ settings to contrast or combine different tracks of guitars.
In the same way, you show us the same with different amps, and different guitars.
I would like to know if you did have good (or bad) experiences with different settings of gain/master volume in your recording sessions.

Nicolas
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mainly using a 100 watt Marshall or Suhr Bella for recording, both really loud amps. If I turn the master volume too high, my speakers start making that awful cone cry sound - it's only one cab with 4 25 watt speakers. To get a Blackmore type of tone, I'd definitely need two cabinets because the amp needs to be screaming loud to get that tone. I can come close to it with preamp distortion, turning the treble all the way up on the guitar and miking the paper part of the speaker, but overdriving the power amp and output tubes does a certain kind of thing that overdriving just the preamp won't do. That being said, even when using a master volume amp and getting gain from the preamp, my master volume is still really loud - I turn it up until the speakers start freaking out and then turn it down just a little. So, the power amp is still being used a lot - just not up to the point of distortion.
Wiznik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Scott.

Very Happy
manolopez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard shane theriot talk about his old marshall in a youtube video and that you recommended him a amp guy and that he now loves the sound.but he had no idea what he did

can you tell what he does to the amps? assume the abvious like retube,recap and other worn out little components and the master volume thing or are there more mods?

thanx
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't remember that at all - I haven't talked to Shane in years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: