Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Tubes
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Tubes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethel the cat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Tubes Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I'm looking to get a new amp, tired of lugging around a head and a cab, and was hoping to get your opinion on various tubes and the role that they play in a particular sound. I understand that different amps can sound different with the same tubes based on their individual components, so I guess I'm just looking for generalities in tube sound. Hopefully that makes sense, kind of like a 6l6 vs. 6v6 vs. el84 and so on....

Thanks for all the great music! Hopefully we see you out east (Pittsburgh) soon!

ETC
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not a tube expert - I know very little about the different brands. 6L6 is a typical Fender tube - Fenders tend to have a more scooped sound. The notes can be huge but there's lots of bass and it's not often "tight". EL34, 84, 6CA7 are Marshall tubes - there's more midrange and a tighter bass. The Marshall sound works best for me on stage but I use Fenders for layering in the studio. Preamp tubes can last a long time but power tubes need to be replaced every few years if you're working the amp hard. That's about all I know - sorry it's probably not much help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: